Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restore 80GB on 40GB..... possible?

Restore 80GB on 40GB..... possible?

Is it possible to restore a system image done for a 80GB disk with 28.8GB data onto a 40GB disk?
    When I booted from Paragon CD, this does not let me.

Re: Restore 80GB on 40GB..... possible?

Quote Originally Posted by telldinun View Post
    Is it possible to restore a system image done for a 80GB disk with 28.8GB data onto a 40GB disk?
    Yes.

Please describe in detail what it is: 1. image 80GB - one partition or few; format (pvhd or pbf). 2 Paragon CD - which is the program (BR, HDM.. 12, 14, 16..); WinPE or Linux-based.

Quote Originally Posted by fireworker View Post
    Yes.

Please describe in detail what it is: 1. image 80GB - one partition or few; format (pvhd or pbf). 2 Paragon CD - which is the program (BR, HDM.. 12, 14, 16..); WinPE or Linux-based.
    Thank you for picking up my question!
    The image 80GB is on one partition. The Object band that appears in Paragon boot software in Restore wizard shows that data is 28.8GB with the rest of band as free space. Wizard does not allow selection of the replacement 40GB hard drive's primary partition.

I installed the free Paragon BR 16 software on Windows 7.

why are you going from 80 g to 40 g? (just curious)
    If you are looking to BACK UP the 80 g, you can juust do an image backup to the 40g, it will probably fit
    if you want it as a clone emergency disk, that's understandable too

what is your hardware status

BR16Free can restore an 80 GB partition with 30 GB data, on to 40 GB of space. I checked it out.
    The Object band that appears in Paragon boot software in Restore wizard shows that data is 28.8GB with the rest of band as free space.
    What do you name a "Object band"? You need to select one partition if I understand correctly.
    valid_object.jpginvalid_objects.jpg

Can you make screenshots?

Quote Originally Posted by aoz987 View Post
    why are you going from 80 g to 40 g? (just curious)
    If you are looking to BACK UP the 80 g, you can juust do an image backup to the 40g, it will probably fit
    if you want it as a clone emergency disk, that's understandable too

what is your hardware status
    My 80GB hard drive failed. I have a system image on an external hard USB hard drive.
    I had 40GB working SATA hard drive pull. I replaced the drive and I am trying to restore. Does not happen. Stuck!
    Restore feature of the Paragon boot indicates that the target disk is not the same size as the backup.

The screen shot you attached is the one I am referring as bands. I did select the one partition that I want that appears as a bands in the screenshot. The partition shows that it has 28.8GB data (darker shading) and the rest as free space. I am unable to take a screenshot as my system is down. As I proceed, the next screen is to select the target partition (40GB). On click, I get a message under the 40GB partition and disallows me to continue with the restore.

re: screenshot - take a picture with your phone, it may help for understanding of the drive

On click, I get a message under the 40GB partition and disallows me to continue with the restore.
    What is the text of this message?
    Maybe your backup is corrupted?
    I do not have 40 GB of physical HDD, Today I checked in the VirtualBox, I restored the backup to a virtual disk https://youtu.be/Mo3oMKl8ViY

Quote Originally Posted by fireworker View Post
    What is the text of this message?
    Maybe your backup is corrupted?
    I do not have 40 GB of physical HDD, Today I checked in the VirtualBox, I restored the backup to a virtual disk https://youtu.be/Mo3oMKl8ViY
    Selected target does no fit to the source object. Performing retore to "Local Disk (C", 37.2 GB in sot possible. Please select another target. By the way, thanks for your time fireworks! If options run out, I will have to order a new hard drive.... I have the screenshots taken in my phone. I will upload those as well shortly!!