Thread: how to make bootable rescue disk

how to make bootable rescue disk

My Windows 10 home won't boot. My rescue and repair disks don't seem to work (probably too old). I booted from a Windows 10 disk and told it to repair, but that failed. Using the command prompt from the Windows 10 disk, I was able to at least send my important files to a USB drive. I then saw a posting that mentioned that Paragon rescue kit free edition might be able to fix my problem. However, the download for that says it is now part of hard disk manager. I downloaded that, but it is an installation file. I need to burn a bootable dvd or usb drive in order to rescue the system. How do I accomplish this?

Thanks!

Re: how to make bootable rescue disk

Quote Originally Posted by bradawk View Post
    My Windows 10 home won't boot.
    did this happen after the update or somehow your actions?
    What error messages do you receive when try to boot Windows?
    Quote Originally Posted by bradawk View Post
    I booted from a Windows 10 disk and told it to repair, but that failed.
    Have you tried using Bootrec in the command prompt?
    bootrec /FixMBR /FixBoot /RebuildBCD
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...startup-issues

No, no error messages. I would just have a screen with the blue window and ring of dots. Then a screen with just the ring of dots. Eventually just a black screen. I let it run like that for hours and no change. I was able to get to a command prompt when using a rescue USB key or a Windows 10 install dvd. From there, I was able to open notepad, start to open a file, and from the explorer window was able to send my most critical files to a USB key. I could not get anything else to work. So, eventually had to reset it. It is now back to Windows 8. Working on updating it now.

Thanks for the reply!

How do I close this thread?

do you have a 2nd machine? if so, oy can install eht PHDM 16, and create a recovery disk, and as long as the two machines are the same, you can use that recovery disk from machine #2, to use on Machine #1, to restore an image, etc... (I beleve this i show it works, worth a try)