Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OEM related Paragons system message on my notebook while backuping

OEM related Paragons system message on my notebook while backuping

Hi,

while backupping a hard disk entirely, I have been getting Paragons system message that there is an OEM partition within the C disk included and hided, thus after the migration is completed I should not use "Restore to factory settings", otherwise the migrated disk could eventually get unbootable.

Even more strange looks Paragons advice referring to a Free Edition (!) as an alternative (!) to this obstacle, as any limited edition has obviously less options than a standard edition.

So, I got totally confused while working with Paragon.

I'd like to know how I could keep the disk to be migrated intact after the process is completed. Maybe, the both partitions should be treated separately? - I'd like to be advised.

How should the problem be treated correctly?

paragon message.png
    Last edited by cuneiform; 24.01.18 at 16:41.

Re: OEM related Paragons system message on my notebook while backuping

Quote Originally Posted by cuneiform View Post
    while backupping a hard disk entirely, I have been getting Paragons system message that there is an OEM partition within the C disk included and hided, thus after the migration is completed I should not use "Restore to factory settings", otherwise the migrated disk could eventually get unbootable.
    Even more strange looks Paragons advice referring to a Free Edition (!) as an alternative (!) to this obstacle, as any limited edition has obviously less options than a standard edition.
    You tried not backupping but copying (clone) the disk (for migration). Paragon warns you that it does not guarantee the behavior of the OEM recovery program after this program finds itself on an unfamiliar disk.

So, I got totally confused while working with Paragon.

I'd like to know how I could keep the disk to be migrated intact after the process is completed. Maybe, the both partitions should be treated separately? - I'd like to be advised.

How should the problem be treated correctly?
    The source disk should not change in any way. Please show your disk map (a screenshot from Paragon or a from diskmgmt) and tell what exactly you want: make a backup or migrate to a new disk?

Why do you use some old Paragon program (btw, which one?) instead of free HDM16Basic? (there are English, German and Russian interfaces, depending on the language of your Windows) Do you have Windows 2000 or XP?

Quote Originally Posted by fireworker View Post
    You tried not backupping but copying (clone) the disk (for migration). Paragon warns you that it does not guarantee the behavior of the OEM recovery program after this program finds itself on an unfamiliar disk.
    My intent was backupping as this way compression while archiving is possible. Also, another intent was eventual restoring if necessary as the main end.

archive of paragon.png

archive contents.png

Virtual capsulas or Virtual images are not transparent for me to use them now; however, I think they are thought for copying 1 to 1 elsewhere, say, for copying directly to another hard drive without archiving, correct?

The source disk should not change in any way. Please show your disk map (a screenshot from Paragon or a from diskmgmt) and tell what exactly you want: make a backup or migrate to a new disk?

Why do you use some old Paragon program (btw, which one?) instead of free HDM16Basic? (there are English, German and Russian interfaces, depending on the language of your Windows) Do you have Windows 2000 or XP?
    I've been running Win XP. I tried several Paragon products to complete the work, but that message was always present.

disk source.jpg

Please, do advise me how I should proceed to correctly copy in the OED hided service partition in order to necessarily RECOVER the whole disk properly in case of a failure or else to put it onto a new disk if the old one would be damaged = COPYING. So, I bear 2 purposes along with.

OK, I understand, and thanks for the screenshots.
    I suspect that you have already done the backup of the whole disk 2 days ago.
    To see the contents of your backup in HDM15S, double click on the arc_xxx.PBF icon (pic "archive contents.png"), if I guessed right then the "Preload" and "SERVICEV001" partitions will open, etc. Or you can mount these partitions on the "Archives" tab.
    So, suppose that you have already reached your first purpose. To check that the second purpose is correctly executed, you need an additional 2.5 HDD and a bootable Paragon Recovery Media (eg USBstick or CD). Or an additional 2.5 HDD and SATA-USB adapter for it.
    In other words, you need: 1 - the media from which the Paragon will run. 2 - the media on which the backup is stored. 3 - the target disk in which the backup will be restored. 1 and 2 can be the same. 2 and 3 can not be the same. 1 and 3 theoretically can be the same, but it's risky.
    NB https://kb.paragon-software.com/article/272 last picture.
    ------------
    I think, with the OEM partition everything will be OK
    ------------
    Virtual capsulas or Virtual images are not transparent for me to use them now; however, I think they are thought for copying 1 to 1 elsewhere, say, for copying directly to another hard drive without archiving, correct?
    VD (pvhd) is a just new backup format.
    Last edited by fireworker; 25.01.18 at 02:56.

Well, the archive controls are quite transparent to me:

restore archive.jpg

I have complicated it myself due to the complexity of the professional interface as compared to the standard one:
    Virtualization Disk is quite normal for professional purposes though too smart for non-professionals.

professional interface.png

I understood Virtualization as a principle, not as a software operation, alas. ;-)

Thank you very much for your professional and detailed replies.

(i.e., man darf die Sache nicht verkomplizieren).

Best regards.

There are still some problems remaining: My old IBM-Lenovo notebook will not boot with any modern pen drive built within Win 10. In other words, I will have to make restore operations outside of the old notebook elsewhere. But now, I have a feeling of satisfaction that I have archived the whole disk with all the results of my work within 7 years.
    Last edited by cuneiform; 25.01.18 at 13:03.

PS. There are still some problems remaining: My old IBM-Lenovo notebook will not boot with any modern pen drive built within Win 10.
    Please tell me the model of your notebook?
    ------------
    Boot menu: F12 or ThinkVantage → F12
    You do not need Win10, you can use linux-based or WinXP (PE) based media.
    RMB1.jpg
    RMB2.jpg
    In other words, I will have to make restore operations outside of the old notebook elsewhere. But now, I have a feeling of satisfaction that I have archived the whole disk with all the results of my work within 7 years.
    Yes. Backup can be restored using another PC. Connect 2.5 HDD, restore the backup to it, disconnect this HDD and install it to the laptop.
    Last edited by fireworker; 25.01.18 at 13:32.

Backup can be restored using another PC...
    Before restoring, uncheck the box "BCD update" in Settings to avoid editing the boot.ini
    BCD_update_uncheck.jpg

Please tell me the model of your notebook?
    ------------
    Boot menu: F12 or ThinkVantage → F12
    You do not need Win10, you can use linux-based or WinXP (PE) based media.
    RMB1.jpg
    RMB2.jpg
    Will that work on T-61 (XP), X-61 (Win7) ?

Yes. Backup can be restored using another PC. Connect 2.5 HDD, restore the backup to it, disconnect this HDD and install it to the laptop.
    Right my way and plan in advance!

Before restoring, uncheck the box "BCD update" in Settings to avoid editing the boot.ini
    BCD_update_uncheck.jpg
    Oh, I'll have to take that to my notes, otherwise I would have to experience troubles! Your comment sounds like a citation from the Bible!
    On my own I would never have come to it. THANKS A LOT!

Please, which boot.ini is being meant?
    I will try to read more in the manual (300 pages).
    So simple it is not while controlling the disk copy process, as compared to Norton Ghost;-)
    But I had the pleasure to make an archive copy beforehand while running Windows;-)