Thread: Simple Question - How to view/explore and visually verify backups?

Simple Question - How to view/explore and visually verify backups?

Hi,
    Just got the trial version, I'd like to verify that the files it is creating ARE actually the backups before buying it. I suppose I could try restoring a small subset of them maybe somewhere separate, but is there a way to just "File Explorer" them to view them?

Also ... I had been using another program that would send an email of the success/failure of the backups when complete. Can Paragon do this?

Thanks for any assistance! (I did try searching the knowledge base, and didn't find any clear answer).

Matt

Re: Simple Question - How to view/explore and visually verify backups?

Trial version of what program did you get?
    In (paid) BR16 and HDM16 there is an option to "mount a backup", the mounted backup appears in Explorer as a disk.
    There are no email sent in the settings, but there is a possibility to set the run of some script at the end of the backup.

BR16_settings.jpg

also, you COULD do teh RESTORE, and set destination as a separate folder.
    I have actually done that; i did a backup, then did a selective restore (about 6 gig of data), THEN did a binary compare of the RESTORED files, to the ORIGINAL files, and bit-for-bit comparison was exact (I use a program called Syncovery for some other backup work, and it can do binary comparison of files/folders/dierectories)

Quote Originally Posted by aoz987 View Post
    also, you COULD do teh RESTORE, and set destination as a separate folder.
    I have actually done that; i did a backup, then did a selective restore (about 6 gig of data), THEN did a binary compare of the RESTORED files, to the ORIGINAL files, and bit-for-bit comparison was exact (I use a program called Syncovery for some other backup work, and it can do binary comparison of files/folders/dierectories)
    Thanks both of you for your prompt replies. Since I'd have to have the paid version to do the mounted backup, I'll try a partial restore as you suggested, then compare the files. Again, I'm sure it's all good, but I'd like to be certain. Also, I would like to do a script to email me "something" when a backup is finished, rather than having to manually check it every day.

Matt

the worst case scenario is when you go to restore and things don't work. so YOU are doing well by TESTING ahead of time.
    ALSO, suggestion - WHENyou first (or any time) do a backup, do a VERIFY/CHECK on that backup also. extra step, extra time, but verifies integrity of the backup.

also, if you can, post what steps you take to COMPARE the files, so others can possibly benefit, and see that it is not too complicated to do.
    AND it helps show others that paragon is reliable in its data handling. after all, no matter what the interface, GUI, etc, a program is USELESS if the data is not solid, and the program is INVALUABLE if, despite some new facial features that are confusig, its data is reliable.

Correction: free HDM16Basic allows you to mount backups too.

Quote Originally Posted by aoz987 View Post
    the worst case scenario is when you go to restore and things don't work. so YOU are doing well by TESTING ahead of time.
    ALSO, suggestion - WHENyou first (or any time) do a backup, do a VERIFY/CHECK on that backup also. extra step, extra time, but verifies integrity of the backup.

also, if you can, post what steps you take to COMPARE the files, so others can possibly benefit, and see that it is not too complicated to do.
    AND it helps show others that paragon is reliable in its data handling. after all, no matter what the interface, GUI, etc, a program is USELESS if the data is not solid, and the program is INVALUABLE if, despite some new facial features that are confusig, its data is reliable.
    Okay, so I restored several different file types to a new location. To compare them, I literally just did it the old fashioned way ; ones that were identical, I visually checked the size and dates, then I opened them, old and new. I restored one large database, and since it was several day's different, it wasn't identical, but it wasn't supposed to be, however, it was the correct size (slightly larger) and date. I've used some free online file-compare tools in the past, those would have worked too, but anyway, the old fashioned way was fine and satisfied me that the program is functioning as it should. Also, I found the GUI of the wizards to be very easy to use! So I will be buying the full version of the program now.
    Thanks for all your help and suggestions!
    Matt

that is fine, yhou are at least testing different scenario's.
    another easy way is to restore a folder that has no changes in it (example, for me, i hvae yearly invoice folders, year-2015, year-2016, etc)
    restore the whole folder, to another location; right click on it, look at properties. look at the SIZE and SIZE on DISK. if the folders are identical, ONE of those numbers should be an exact match to the downloaded folder (one of them, not sure, is some times different, depending on the media it it is stored on, i can never keep them straight)
    re: PHDM 16, after initial frustration and many support posts (and subsequent posts by me to the forum, containing support's responses to me), I am getting used to the new interface. It does seem to have all the features of the PHDM 15, just in different spots.

glad the forum could help !