Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PBR16 media builder broken

PBR16 media builder broken

I am running trial version of PBR16 and need to get recovery USB working to decide on this software.

I have tried a few times with Recovery Media Builder with no success as there are only a few useless files on the USB and all I get is a blue screen when I try to boot from the USB.

I selected "Use ADK/WAIK" on the first step.

The second step looks a bit crazy to me. There is a choice to specify an image file OR select USB flash drive.
    What seems crazy is that the first choice suggests that Paragon can provide an ISO-image.
    In that case instead of a choice both these boxes should be selected. It should be AND instead of EITHER/OR

So I selected my USB flash drive.

Then selected downloaded Windows Kits which is enormous download but doesn't even seem to get on the USB.
    On next media creation progress page it gives details: Platform Microsoft Windows PEx64.
    As a recovery tool this is worse than useless.

Other backup/recovery programs I have seen provide a downloadable ISO file which can be installed with Rufus.

Is there anything like that available from Paragon?

Re: PBR16 media builder broken

first install the Windows AIK kit, SE paragon's site, it has to be the version PRIOR to the current release, I believe
    then, rerun the recovery media builder , and select for it to USE the AIK; the recovery media builder extracts some files form the AIK, as it builds the usb

Thanks for your suggestion aoz987 but I can't find that AIK kit on Paragon's site and after downloading the AIK from Microsoft as requested by PBR16 I can't see the point in tracking down some other obscure version hidden on Paragon's site.
    I think I am looking for an alternative backup program.

here is the reply from support, to my recovery media builder inquiry.
    it has the link as to how to build the recovery media builder, and download the windows microsoft AIK kit.
    SEE NOTE, do NOT use the 1709 version, use the prior one (that is a microsoft version issue, but microsoft's site has the various versions on there)

I do not work for paragon, but i ahve seen their products operate very reliably. the AIK issue is NOT of paragon's creation, i blieve it is a licensing issue of microsoft, so paragon can't include ALL of the required windows bootup stuff (to create a PE edition, versus a linux edition, for example), without following these microsoft guidelines, (just my two cents opinion)
    I'd suggest reading the link below, give it another try

SUPPORT'S REPLY TO ME on this issue -------------
    There seems to be a problem with the USB thumbdrive you are using
    Please try the following:
    open up the command prompt and input the following:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk (:X) "where X is your tumbdrive letter"
    clean
    convert MBR
    create part primary

After that create recovery media again.Make sure to select 'Use ADK/WAIK' in the wizard and create it according to this guide:
    https://kb.paragon-software.com/article/1339
    Make sure not to use ADK/WAIK 1709

wINDOWS AIK KIT
    addendum i fouund the link https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...deployment-kit i selected teh 1703 download, but it just says ADK, how to confirm it is the 1703?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aoz987; 16.01.18 at 15:58.

Hello again aoz987 and appreciate your help. There is nothing wrong with the USB drive. I set it up so it would work with the settings in my BIOS.

I did find an iso file for Paragon and installed it on the USB with Rufus but all I got when it rebooted was a big blue screen with an animated image of a disk drive, like stuck on it forever.

I then managed to get a better iso with Windows 10 which worked like a charm so I am going to try to install PBR16 on that USB and see if that works.

I am impressed with PBR16 with the way it creates a backup of the C drive but that backup is only as good as the recovery media.

I will work on this and post the results. The Windows 10 file I am using is Windows_10.iso and I am going to use MagicISO to adjust the files on the USB.

as I've noted in other posts, paragon has done well in data integrity, and they ARE working on making the interface more usable. AND their recovery media builder DOES work, just takes some tweaking. BUT, with that reecovery media builder, I have it on a 32g USB stick, BUT I am going to install it on a 256g SSD drive !! and paragon said it should work ! that means that I can install the RECOVERY MEDIA builder to the 256g SSD, and since the backup creator keeps file sizes at 4g max (by choice, in options, the SSD can be FAT32 as created with recovery media builder, AND STILL HOLD an emergency backup, for disaster recovery (or I can copy other backups to that drive, when eneded for recovery). it is sitting on my desk, that is my next project once i verify that the EXCLUDE option (another thread) is working as expectged.

Wow aoz987, you are way ahead of me then so it looks like I'm heading in the right direction.
    You seem to know what you are doing so I will just follow you!
    Makes me think why I can't just create a small partition on my SSD and install WIN10 there instead of mucking around with USB.

re: install win 10 on ssd - what are you trying to do with it, run it portably? (there actually is a way to make a portable edition of windows 10, i tried it once, was too slow in running, and it was too complicated)
    but if your main comptuer has windows 10 on it, what do you need it on an ssd (portable) for, if you can do that with the recovery media builder and an external USB case with an SSD drive in it?

re: install win 10 on ssd
    Reason being to create a bootable partition for recovery because a backup image cannot be recovered to the main C drive in event of a crash. If locked out not even accessible.
    Does that make sense?

AW: Re: PBR16 media builder broken

Quote Originally Posted by aoz987 View Post
    I can install the RECOVERY MEDIA builder to the 256g SSD, and since the backup creator keeps file sizes at 4g max (by choice, in options, the SSD can be FAT32
    1. Use case: Backup disk

2. Historically the 4 GB slicing was particularly for FAT32, nowadays it still makes sense for network traffic. Thus it's still set by default. Recommended to keep this setting unless one has a wellconsidered reason to change it.

and all I get is a blue screen when I try to boot from the USB
    Rescue environment: Problems on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709
    Last edited by rtfm; 17.01.18 at 10:42.