Thread: Drive Backup 9 Pro 'Copying files...'

Drive Backup 9 Pro 'Copying files...'

I have used Drive Backup 9 Pro for years on an XP system to backup and occasionally restore partitions (and occasionally individual files) without problems. I use the Linux based Boot CD to do this, with the backups on an external USB drive.

I now have a new Win 7 Pro 64 bit machine and have tested the above system and find it is far from satisfactory. The backups get made OK but restoring them is a nightmare. When I try to restore the small system drive partition and the main OS partition (using Restore from image, both over the existing undeleted partitions and to 'free space' after deleting the partitions and with or without updating the MBR):

(1) whatever I do, the restore happens as 'Copying files...' not 'Data writing...' and is painfully slow. Instead of seeing the backup image files being processed, each individual files is copied across. I am used to transfer rates of about 1GB/min, say 20 mins for a 20GB of data partition (and this is roughly what I got during the backup) but the restore (approx 20GB of data) takes 2hours 30min.

(2) sometimes it just freezes and I have to start all over again (no bad sectors reported by the way, and it is a new system)

(3) after doing the restore, the system won't boot to Win 7. I get cryptic error messages and an invitation to use a Windows Installation Disk to 'Repair Your Computer'. Luckily I had a repair disk and that did repair the system - again little to say what happened, but it did something to the boot sectors/records?

This renders Paragon unusable: the point is safe and reliable backup and restore, and it ain't happening. Before I make a move to another backup and restore system I wanted to ask, as Paragon has served me well in the past:

(a) how can I get back to fast (and reliable) 'Data writing...'

(b) what should I do to get a bootable PC at the end of the restore process?

Many thanks

lostInTrans

Re: Drive Backup 9 Pro 'Copying files...'

Well, I think it's finally Game Over for Paragon. Not only has there been no support here, Paragon's own 'ticket' system has drawn a blank. Got not one but four (hullo?) emails timed at 05:13-05:14 this am from Paragon all saying:

Thank you for reaching out.
    At the moment we are unable to process your response in a timely manner, we apologize for the inconvenience.
    We will get back to you as soon as possible.
    Thank you for understanding.

Thank you for reaching out??? Perhaps they need to spend less time sending out redundant emails, and more time reaching out to customers...

Paragon used to be on balance one of the better back up and restore products but I consider it has long since lost its way. Look at the number of posts here basically saying restore doesn't work. Look at the abysmal support. Look at the bloatware. Look at the fact you can't even register a free version of the product if your PC is not connected to the internet.

Backup and Recovery software only needs to do two core things, but it has to do them flawlessly. Paragon fails to do that. Over the last couple of days I have tried one of the competitors products and it worked just fine, out of the box. Backed up the OS partition, deleted/formatted it and restored it and PC booted as normal. Backup ran at just under 1Gb/min, restore at just over 1Gb/min, and the boot records got corrected as needed.

So end of an era.

I've posted this so that others trying to make a decision about what backup and restore SW to use might have some idea of what they might expect from Paragon.

LIT