Thread: Can't restore to single USB touch screen tablet

Can't restore to single USB touch screen tablet

Hi,

RE: Paragon Backup and Recovery 16

Scenario: My wife dropped her acer touch screen win 10 tablet.
    I removed the SSD and reused it in an external drive (wiped obviously).

We then found a replacement screen and would like to restore a paragon backup
    to the orginal ssd (which is now blank).

Problems:
    It's a single usb machine, so I can boot off the paragaon usb stick no problem.
    However, the touch screen doesn't seem to work at this point, and there is no physical keyboard
    so I have to remove the boot usb stick to put in a usb for the wireless mouse.
    So far so good but then I can't plug in the usb drive with the image I want to restore.
    I then tried connecting a usb hub, the wireless mouse works ok but the drive doesn't show
    up under external devices. (It does appear in the main view tab, which is strange).
    I could also use a network source but configure network just reports the network is not present or not started
    and I can't add a network since browse on connection path reports a specified login session does not exist.
    (Remember I have no keyboard to enter anything).

Possible Solutions:
    1 - Find a way to connect to another pc to get the restore image off the network.
    2 - make the external usb drive with the restore image visible in external devices.
    3 - copy the restore image onto the internal ssd which I'm trying to restore
    (files copied ok from the external drive which doesn't show up in external devices (!!!))
    but I can't see how source and target can be the same... Maybe I can partition the ssd ?

As you can see the single usb port is a killer, any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks
    Steve

Re: Can't restore to single USB touch screen tablet

Possible Solution 4:
    Could I put the ssd back in an external caddy and restore to it there,
    and then put it back in the target pc as it's boot device?

Re: Can't restore to single USB touch screen tablet

I managed to restore it! Woo Hoo.

I put the restore image on a usb flash stick (rather than a powered usb drive)
    and it was visible.

:-)

Steve