Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PHDM 16 is missing important feature- EXCLUDE files in IMAGE backup mode

Administrator

Re: PHDM 16 is missing important feature- EXCLUDE files in IMAGE backup mode

Cool down, guys, this feature will come back soon. Our developers realized that this was TOO LUSER save ... ;-)

Shepherd, thanks for reply. Pardon the frustration, but per the tech support response to me, there was no mention of this feature being returned. If you are indicating otherwise, that is good, because it is a good feature, it allows working-space usage of the c: drive, for temporary or working files, but keeps them out of an emergency backup; and it is also useful for myself and others, for traveling - I can keep a VHD folder on my c: drive, of essential secure files from my main d: data (of the home machine), but also keep them out of the IMAGE backup, as they are only used in the VHD for travel, and are otherwise available on my main data drive (which is backed up as FILES/FOLDERS)
    anyway, please keep us posted

Also, please read my post; I do understand that sometimes changes are needed in software, and that is why I purchased an upgrade, not just using the free version, and I have given KUDO's to Paragon both here and in the past, for their reliability of the data backup. And, as CDMan has done, I have tested various softwares that do image/file backups, and I haven't found anything that greatly exceeds paragon's abilities, so I support your software, and stick with it, but i also pose some constructive criticism to paragon for the major interface change, in the new software, with out having some tutorial to show the differences, as to where prior menu options disappeared to or were changed to.
    SO, Keep up the good work, and thanks
    nick

Shepherd,
    any progress on this, for re-inclusion of the exclusions?
    thans
    nick

Administrator

nope. please keep in mind that even Shinkansen had an average delay of 54 seconds.

but it only takes two minutes for light to go from sun to earth, 92.96 million mi : - )
    thanks
    nick

here is a post I sent to support on this. and see the attachment.
    It shows why, at least to me, this option is important.
    If this option (the EXCLUDE option for backing up volumes) is not restored, then I have to come up whith an alternative way to carry around my data files, which are COPIES (and expendable, not needed in the backup of the tablet) of the main files.

Dear support,
    see request 159417
    I'd like to add some comments.
    PHDM 16 does not have the EXCLUDE FILES/FOLDERS option, when doing a VOLUME backup. yuou indicated that this was not a current option (HOWEVER, SHEPHERD, a forum member and apparently a paragon member, indicatd this might be re-instituted.)
    I realize that the majority of people might not use this option, but since it WAS included prior, I thought I'd show you why it is important.
    I have my C: drive. it is a 256 g SSD drive. it has about 100 g of programs, etc, on it, and an IMAGE backup makes about a 50g size image.
    NOW, I have a .VHD folder, assigned as letter D:. it takes up about 90 g of space. BUT, thiese files are COPIES of my main machine, so I do NOT need them in this tablet's C: image backup.
    IN PHDM 15, a backup takes up about 50 g. BUT, in PHDM 16, see the screen shot, since I CANNOT EXCLUDE the C:\VHD-IMAGE folder, I now have an IMAGE backup of 141 G.
    This not only takes up extra time to BACK UP, and then VERIFY, but it takes up extra SPACE.
    Anyway, I thought I'd show you how this does make a difference.
    thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

UPDATE - here is response i got from support, after passing on the comments about the new size (very big) of my IMAGE backup, due to lack of the EXCLUDE option

"The exclusion option, which is implemented in HDM 15, is missing in HDM 16. Instead you can use the mentioned way in HDM 16 via the Files and folders option and include only what you need to back up, thus what you don`t need will be excluded. I`ll forward to the development department your suggestion to implement the exclusion option like in HDM 15."

SO, was development even aware it was missing, prior?

anyway, back to the waiting game....

NOT only will this affect the size of the IMAGE backup, but also the size of VIRTUAL DRIVE backups, since folders can't get excluded. If you want to make an IMAGE/MOUNTABL VIURTUAL DRIVE, that is a stripped down minimal version of your curent drive (excluding non-essential photo's, etc), you curently can't do that

see new thread
    PHDM 16 advanced, and EXCLUDE option - NOW PRESENT ! (2018-01-16)

Quote Originally Posted by aoz987 View Post
    see new thread
    PHDM 16 advanced, and EXCLUDE option - NOW PRESENT ! (2018-01-16)
    So you can do an image backup and exclude certain folders? This is the feature I'm looking for. I know you can do backups of files and folders, but that doesn't include the other partitions you need to do a system restore.

yes. slightly convoluted to activate - go to advanced options, and there is a backup exclude option, you go there, you can add folders, etc. BUT, if you are adding a folder, you hae to manually TyPE it, you can't navitage to it; ecample, in the box for the ffolder, type/paste c:\zzworking as an example

experiment with it, see what happens