Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PHDM 16 is missing important feature- EXCLUDE files in IMAGE backup mode

PHDM 16 is missing important feature- EXCLUDE files in IMAGE backup mode

You buy new version and it misses old features. Great.

I used Paragon SW for years just for one feature - exclude files/folders from IMAGE backup.

I was already suspicious in last version of their Backup Recovery 16 facelift version, it was hidden in System settings.

And now - I bought new version of PHDM 16 Advanced and this feature is completly missing - even in product manual.

This oversimplify-everything trend is really getting to hell.

I demand refund.

Re: PHDM 16 is missing important feature- EXCLUDE files in IMAGE backup mode

I just installed it as a trial to see what was new and I'm not seeing the same options as before. I'll keep looking for a 'expert mode' option - or something like that (if it exists). The 'telly-tubby' interface is similar to the one that had me dump Acronis for Paragon's product.

I just did a backup as a test and the usual progress info window seems to have disappeared. Some progress info is indicated as pale overlay text on the pale coloured progress bar. The colour contrast is so low that it's really hard to read whatever's being displayed there. Again trendy design wins over readability and real usefulness.

If that's supposed to be the "improvement" then I'll stick with HDM15.

i bought PHDM 16. my concerns are same as above
    I NEED the EXCLUDE option, hwen backing up images - I exclude my c:\zzWorking folder,which contains some large, but TEMPORARY, downloads and working files. I can SEE the EXPERT tab, but that option does not exist within either HOME-SETTINGS, OR the EXPERT tab.
    RPMtl, re: your observation about the progress bar - if you make Paragon as FULL SCREEN, you will see the bar - click the computer icon that is at the end of the "RUNNING NOW " statement, it makes that section somewhat more visible,and the percentage shows up, BUT it is a PAIN to have to have this at full screen to see this. If you have the screen at about half-size, you CAN use the bottom scroll slider to move to the right of the image, and see the percentage of backup done. OF NOTE, it DOES seem faster than PHDM 15; I have not run a timer on it, but the percentage is going by faster.
    I just installed it , and am testing it now, to see what is present, what is missing, etc.

I'm not going to buy the upgrade this time until I'm sure there's more there than I've seen so far. I need to test the various scenarios I use - such as a scheduled incremental backup files and folders where I exclude some folders. Perhaps CDman was backing up a partition and was looking for an exclude files option. I didn't know that ever existed. But backing up Files and Folders must certainly be there somewhere and I would expect there to be an exclude files option.

I miss seeing what's going on during the backup process in a simple text window. I hope there's at least a detailed log file created with each backup that I can consult somewhere.
    Last edited by RPMtl; 19.11.17 at 05:27.

i posted another thread, on the speed comparison. with PHDM 16, i was truly impressed ! about a 25% increase in speed of my 80 gig image backup. see that thread for some RESTORE results of files (I'll post that info later)

In PHDM 15, i had a problem with Truecrypt drives, and TECH SUPPORT pointed me to the SETTINGS.XML file, where parameters are stored.

ON A WHIM, I went to the SETTINGS.XML file,, PHDM 15, and searched for my EXCLUDED folder, of c:\zzWorking. It EXISTS there, so the parameter for excluded file,when set up, got placed in that file.

IN PHDM 16, there is the SAME SUB HEADER, <ExcludedItem> (or something like that), SO I believe the parameter may still be available, (for excluding files), in PHDM 16, but it does not appear in the menu. we MAY have to edit the SETTINGS.XML file, but hopefully someone from Paragon can reply here, as to how to more flexibly use that parameter.

Oops .. I just checked HDM15 and 'Exclude from Backup/Copy' is indeed an option.

this is DEFINITELY NOT INCLUDED, in the options, CONFIRMED BY MY SUPPORT REQUEST.
    I do not know if they intend to add it back in.

the BENEFIT of this EXCLUDE feature was that I could have a folder, example, c:\zzWorking, and in it keep some temporary or large files, but NOT BACK THESE UP to an IMAGE file as they were expendable, not essential to an emergency IMAGE RESTORE.

NOW, they HAVE to be included in the IMAGE backup, thus wasting time, and creating a larger image backup. This is unfortunate, especially since it DIDD EXIST in the prior edition.

to CDman, unfortunately, sticking with the PHDM 15 version, as windows moves forward, if some critical windows "upgrade' happens, causing incompatibillty with the backup program, then I assume paragon would only fix the PHDM 16 version since it is out (similar to what happened with PHDM 15, going to PHDM SP5, earlier in the year). that is the one reason i use the latest version, but I am NOT HAPPY with the removal of the features that provided benefit.

Sligtly offtopic - I am very unhappy about whole Paragon strategy with this product. Myself being in PC business for 20 years - doing regular backups, RAIDs, NAS and FTP etc. for my customers I used various backup SW and found Paragon, EaseUS ToDo Backup, Macrium and Acronis are the best. I spent 100+ hours testing these /and at least 10+ others/ SW just last year and I think it all goes to - hell -. Macrium with its Image guardian barely working, so u need to turn off best new feature just to get backups and Windows functioning. Same with Paragon, best feature /exclude files and folders/ is missing from new version. Acronis is lacking SFTP in True Image 2018 /only in higher Backup version/. Finaly I stick with EaseUS ToDO for now, relatively cheap /u get regular 40% off every week in mail add/, having all features I need. Or use old PHM 15. Or Veeam Free edition.

And btw I put to the test ALL above SWs also as a Centralised Management version - they all fail miserably in business network enviroments /aka Windows 7/8/Vista/10/.

I see you have same problem with big dirs - its just model example: STEAM, MOVIES, GAMES, PICTURES, MUSIC - this all is redownloadable so no point in regular backup - its Terrabytes of data. Excluding it is essential for daily backup of base Windows system as those dirs change size every day but dont need to be backed up. My temporary solution was to move STEAM and ORIGIN installs to separate 1TBSSD drive /already full/.

CDman,
    it is NOT off topic. you hit the nail on the head. I have worked with systems for 30+ years, went through several backup systems. Had acronis till about 10 years ago, it got bloated, and I switched to paragon. was happy with their features. NOW, the whole interface is changed. features may be present, but are hidden, and some are missing. SO, I went online to go back and look at truecrypt, and macrium - but one look at their web pages, and i just left. there are no video's, tutorials, you ahve to INSTALL AND TRY, and I do NOT hve time to LEARN and TRY new stuff.
    PHDM 16 DOES seem to be working well, increased speed compared to PHDM 15 - and I am finding the other buried options (incremental backup addition to a single backup, etc).

re: my c:\zzWorking, I do not have MANY data directories on my c: drive - a long time ago I started to keep all data off of c:, keep it on a d: or other drive, and just do IMAGE backups of c:, so I can restore in emergencies.
    for my d: drive, I use SYNCOVERY, an excellent file management/cloning/synchronizing syhstem, with very customizable directory/folder selections/exclusions/inclusions. I back up to two local drives, and I also got CRASHPLAN PRO (had personal, they stopped that service though), and have all critical files going to the cloud. I HAD AMAZON, but they stopped the unlimited, and I h ad more than 1 terabyte of stuff, so lost that option.

Just like you, I have tested the stuff I use, and it is frustrating to have to learn totally new interfaces, and test the new software. I will probably stick with PHDM 16, because if the same glitch happens where windows crashes out the backup software (several months ago, and they had to get PHDM 15 SP 5), I don't believe they will continue to support the PHDM 15, since they ahve the PHDM 16 upgrade out.

Anyway, good luck, and any other feedbck, go ahead and post, because it is related to these upgrades, and I wish some other users would add their experiences to this, so paragon sees what they did to some of their loyal diehard testers/users.