Thread: Back Ups created with Hard Disc Manager 15 Suite not recognised by HDM16

Back Ups created with Hard Disc Manager 15 Suite not recognised by HDM16

I am a long-time user/owner of HDM Suite 15 SP5. I create regular back ups of my various drives to a dedicated Back Up capsule.

I have just downloaded and installed HDM16. As the first screenshot shows, the program clearly "sees" the back up capsule.

ScreenShot00339.jpg

However, if I attempt to Restore or even "view" in HDM16 one of the backups created in HDM15, it fails to find the backup capsule or any of the backups:

ScreenShot00340.jpg

Why? Has the file format changed. If so, I have a feeling that HDM16 is going to be consigned to the Recycle Bin pretty quickly!

Any assistance very gratefully received.

Re: Back Ups created with Hard Disc Manager 15 Suite not recognised by HDM16

HDM16 recognizes Back Ups created by HDM15 (and even older versions of HDM),
    but HDM16 don't have access to the Backup Capsule.
    Why?
    This is a great mystery.
    What to do?
    The options are:
    1. Refuse from HDM16 in favor of HDM15
    2. To persuade developers to add support of the Backup Capsule to HDM16
    3. Refuse Backup Capsule (convert existing to regular NTFS)

Many thanks for at least confirming the problem is not caused by something on my computer.

As to your options: hopefully no. 2 will be implemented, otherwise I shall continue to use HDM15 and uninstall HDM16, your option 1.

Hmm.. I was considering upgrading my 'HDM15 Suite' for v16 as I assumed there are improvements and I like to support companies whose software I use. Are you saying that if I need to recover a file inside a backup I previously made using HDM15 I will not be able to do so using the upgraded version 16? That sounds crazy .... What's the point of an upgrade that removes support for previously created updates???

Quote Originally Posted by RPMtl View Post
    Are you saying that if I need to recover a file inside a backup I previously made using HDM15 I will not be able to do so using the upgraded version 16?
    With HDM16, you can recover a file from the backup made by HDM15, if the backup files are located in an accessible place for HDM16. Backup capsule - inaccessible place for HDM16 now.
    Backup Capsule is a separate partition for storing backups.
    You can place a backup image to a special secured place on the hard disk called the Backup Capsule that has an independent system layout (e.g. a separate partition) and will stay operable should the active file system be damaged. To avoid an accidental removing or unauthorized access of the backup data, this partition is hidden and thus cannot be mounted in the operating system. https://kb.paragon-software.com/article/262

Quote Originally Posted by fireworker View Post
    With HDM16, you can recover a file from the backup made by HDM15, if the backup files are located in an accessible place for HDM16. Backup capsule - inaccessible place for HDM16 now.
    Backup Capsule is a separate partition for storing backups.
    You can place a backup image to a special secured place on the hard disk called the Backup Capsule that has an independent system layout (e.g. a separate partition) and will stay operable should the active file system be damaged. To avoid an accidental removing or unauthorized access of the backup data, this partition is hidden and thus cannot be mounted in the operating system. https://kb.paragon-software.com/article/262
    I have deliberately bolded the opening words of fireworker's reply. That is the key. BUT if you have your backups within the BackUp capsule, which HDM16 can see but cannot access you have first to move those files to another drive or partition. HDM16 has the File Transfer Wizard that HDM15 also has, but, of course it can't see those back up files! So you need to use the Transfer Wizard in 15 to make the files accessible to 16!!

As RPMtl says, "crazy".

Well not completely crazy now that I understand what a Backup Capsule is. All my backups are done to external media so it appears I'll still be able to access them as I can now. It's nonetheless unfortunate that important features that are part of HDM15 are not being supported by 16.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMtl View Post
    Well not completely crazy now that I understand what a Backup Capsule is. All my backups are done to external media so it appears I'll still be able to access them as I can now. It's nonetheless unfortunate that important features that are part of HDM15 are not being supported by 16.
    Unfortunate indeed! I find the concept of the Backup Capsule very "useful" since it is a partition that Windows cannot "access" and hence cannot change in any way. What is stored to the BU Capsule by HDM15 is as "secure" as it can be (within reason). So why has HDM16 removed this, or at least the possibility of seeing and accessing an existing BU Capsule?

Very disappointed in the new version. I'm very glad its installation did not uninstall HDM15.

This is outrageous.
    Paragon must have a large number of customers out there who rely upon their Backup Capsule feature.
    Where was the warning that it had been abandoned in HDM16?
    I thought I could trust Paragon ... Now I feel robbed :-(

Thank goodness the £29 so called "upgrade" did not remove HDM15.
    Surely a provider of PC backup security like Paragon should have a moral responsibility to maintain proper backup legacy features (or at least warn potential updaters of this situation).