Thread: Restore SATA backup to M.2 SSD?

Restore SATA backup to M.2 SSD?

I use HDM15 Suite to backup my computers which all use SATA SSD's for the OS and Apps. I'm considering upgrading one of them to a Samsung 960 M.2 NVMe which that system's motherboard supports (ASUS X99-Deluxe II).

My plan is to back up the current SSD and then use one of my other systems to restore the image to the M.2 unit which I would connect using an external USB3 dock via an M.2 to SATA adapter.

Is there any reason why this might not work?

Thanks for any advice :-)

Russell

Re: Restore SATA backup to M.2 SSD?

Thought I'd pop in with an update. After transferring the OS+Apps drive to the Samsung 960 M.2 NVMe I discovered that there are few (if any) external options for M.2 NVMe drives. I was able to restore a backup to a second 256GB M.2 NVMe drive by using a x4 PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 Adapter, and it works perfectly.

I was able to successfully backup the Samsung 960 M.2 NVMe in the M.2 socket and then restore the backup to the second M.2 NVMe in the PCIe adapter, all within Windows 10. That avoids the need to boot a WinPE Environment from a USB stick etc.. The whole restore process just seems so much simpler and faster from with Win10.

Bottom line is that it works fine but I needed a 'PCIe NVMe M.2 Adapter' to get the backup restored to a second connected NVMe M.2 drive.

Looks like solutions are starting to arrive:

MyDigitalSSD M2X Portable USB 3.1 Gen 2 M.2 PCI Express SSD External Enclosure Adapter

Just did a restore of a Win10 system to a 256GB M.2 NVMe in a MyDigitalSSD M2X enclosure connected via USB-C and it worked perfectly.

thanks, yuou answered my question, I am looking at a new machine, an HP, it has a 128g SSD, M2 format, and I was wondering if I could either restore that image to an 2.5 SSD, or a larger M2 SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by aoz987 View Post
    thanks, yuu answered my question,
    Glad to hear my post was of use to someone :-)

I left the 256GB M.2 SSD that I bought for testing in the MyDigitalSSD M2X enclosure and am using it as an external USB storage device 'on steroids'.