Thread: Hard Disk to SSD on Laptop

Hard Disk to SSD on Laptop

Hi,
    On my Windows 10 pro ACER Laptop, I have a 480GB hard drive which is partitioned into two equal sections : C: Drive which holds the Windows 10 system files, programs etc. and E: Drive which holds my Data files (Audio, Video, Images etc.)
    I want to transfer the entire content of my current hard drive to a 480GB SSD and replace the hard drive with the SSD in my laptop.
    I have a suitable means of connecting the 480 SSD to a USB port on my laptop and it has been initialised and formatted as a single partition (Primary) and is being recognised as Drive G: when connected.

If I use the 'Paragon Migrate' software, will it copy the entire original Hard Drive partitions to the SSD ( i.e. C: and E: ) to make it a direct replacement?

Any help will be much appreciated... Thank You.

Re: Hard Disk to SSD on Laptop

I don't know about 'Paragon Migrate', Hard Drive Manager can do it.
    https://imgur.com/WHUvXJk
    probably your disk has more than two partitions, just they are not displayed in the Explorer

Thank you for your reply....
    You are correct about the disk having more than two partitions... Having looked at it in "Disc Management" I can see the EFI and Recovery partitions, in addition to the C: and E: partitions.
    I'll get a copy of Hard Drive Manager as you advise and hopefully it will solve my problem....

Incidentally, the supplier of the SSD recommended I use Acronis True Image 2015 to carry out the migration, but it just will not work on a Windows 10 system - even if I attempt to run it from a bootable CD, created from an ISO file. The 'bootable' CD works fine on a Windows 7 system but will not even boot on Windows 10 !!

Thanks again for your help.....

Kind Regards

Paragon ShOULD work. I have used PHDM 15 to do this, prior, BUT, with the new PHDM 16 interface, it seems confusing to find the correct option. It SEEMS to be in the MIGRATE section, and you would want to select the FULL disk.
    hope this is of help

Thank you for your thoughts - much appreciated... I eventually used 'Driveimage XML' to successfully transfer the entire content of my hard drive to a new SSD. The process was very straightforward and simple, compared to several other options, and as a bonus, it is free for 'home' users.....

i'm glad you got it working. If you hvae a spare drive around, you might try it with paragon, and post subsequent results/screen shots here. I know paragon in PHDM 15 did this reliably, and I believe PHDM 16 will do it, but as you've noted, the menu's are confusing in this also.
    I actually just sent a letter to PARAGON (to their corporate fax number) on issues that users are having. I have used paragon for 8+ years, and I believe it is reliable, and I believe that if they clean up some of this confusion, the PHDM 16 will prove to be reliable also. I really don't have the energy to learn yet ANOTHER backup/restore program.... : - (

Hi ! I got a very similar problem ; I had Windows 10 installed on a HDD and then decided to move to a SSD drive ; but cloning was done through the tool furnished by the Manufacturer of the SSD and wahen I transferred it did not work ; when I used my previous archive with Paragon HDM 15 pro and restored it on the SSD it did not work either ...Probably this is due to the hidden partition on SSD which did not exist on the HDD ; I have no other explanation but to my opinion , migration from HDD to a SSD is subject to problems . Any contribution on that topic is welcome

if you still have teh old drive, try to RE-IMAGE it with PHDM 15, and select the WHOLE DISK when doing so (under disk/partitions), my particular drive has about 6 partitions (due to HP's design of their disk structure), but my c: drive is about 250 of the 256 G drive. THEN, (as long as your NEW dirve is same size/or/larger than the original), RESTORE all the partitions from that IMAGE, to the NEW drive. SOMETIMES, you hve to loop through the options to "SELECT ADDITIONAL PARTITIONS", etc, then once all are selected, select the APPLY button to start the opreration. I've restored from HD to SSD before, several times, with Paragon; it does work, but again, menu options for this are quirky

Quote Originally Posted by aoz987 View Post
    if you still have teh old drive, try to RE-IMAGE it with PHDM 15, and select the WHOLE DISK when doing so (under disk/partitions), my particular drive has about 6 partitions (due to HP's design of their disk structure), but my c: drive is about 250 of the 256 G drive. THEN, (as long as your NEW dirve is same size/or/larger than the original), RESTORE all the partitions from that IMAGE, to the NEW drive. SOMETIMES, you hve to loop through the options to "SELECT ADDITIONAL PARTITIONS", etc, then once all are selected, select the APPLY button to start the opreration. I've restored from HD to SSD before, several times, with Paragon; it does work, but again, menu options for this are quirky
    Having now a perfectly functioning configuration , I am not going to try ; I accept your comments but I cannot understand why the cloning tool given by the SSD manufacturer did not succeed ; a IT was present ; we tried several methods and all of them unsuccessful ...So doubts remain