Thread: Backup MacOS partition from SSD

Question Backup MacOS partition from SSD

Hello guys,

I am trying to use an external 500GB SSD disk (https://www.sabrent.com/product/EC-U...-free-external -hard-drive-enclosure-black/) to clone a 256 SSD disk who came with my mac book, where I have cloned and restore through Paragon(without any resize), without any error being given in both backup (VHD) and restore steps.

This is my laptop: https://everymac.com/systems/apple/m...lay-specs.html

When I tried to boot from it with 'alt' it detects my external disk, and I can choose it but after it enters it switchs to the 256 GB SSD without any warning. With other Macs with different hardware configurations it was detectable but after I choose it I got stucked.

In MacOS, "Startup Disk" option, it cannot detect my 500GB disk but if I went in "Disk Utility" there is the disk but cannot see any partition inside.

If from CMD+R I choose "Disk Utility" and then "First Aid" it reports a warning about errors at boot, but cannot fix it from there.

Then I tried to migrate my MacOS installation using a native tool, and I was able to set this external ssd to be bootable, and it works as expected with this macbook and with other mac computers.

So I turn again to Paragon, and tried to restore just some folders with content from two separated backups and I was unable to do that in both, it was stuck on loading for more than 30 mins. Usually in a normal case, I would be receive a popup telling me to restart my computer to continue out of windows the restore, at least with a MacOS from a HDD. Note that I was able to navigate through both backups and see its content.

Since it is my first time trying to backup a SSD instalation, I really dont know if there is something missing.

I have also tried to backup this external disk but seems like I need to upgrade my Paragon to SP5 to be able of doing that. I have not done this yet because from what I have read its not a clean install, there are some hacks under Windows 10 to be able to do that.

P.S. I mentioned partition in subtitle but it was disk.
    Last edited by SipriusPT; 19.10.17 at 13:00.