Thread: NTFS Cannot access files and folders (all okay on Windows though)

NTFS Cannot access files and folders (all okay on Windows though)

Hi

Recently, my USB drive has started playing up. On my mac I cannot open certain folders or files (see attached screenshots).

Many folders are missing the small grey right-pointing arrow and when I double click I get the following error:
    "The folder “L09 Amenities” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents". I therefore cannot open the folder or see it's contents from my Mac.

The same problem goes for some files which I can't open. It's as if they're there, but not there. The files move to the trash but on occasions I cannot empty the trash.

On Windows, all files and folder contents are displayed correctly. I've used Disk Utility and Windows drive tools to check for errors but both report the drive is okay.

Please can you help,

Thanking you, Anton
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: NTFS Cannot access files and folders (all okay on Windows though)

Quote Originally Posted by notna View Post
    Hi

Recently, my USB drive has started playing up. On my mac I cannot open certain folders or files (see attached screenshots).

Many folders are missing the small grey right-pointing arrow and when I double click I get the following error:
    "The folder “L09 Amenities” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents". I therefore cannot open the folder or see it's contents from my Mac.

The same problem goes for some files which I can't open. It's as if they're there, but not there. The files move to the trash but on occasions I cannot empty the trash.

On Windows, all files and folder contents are displayed correctly. I've used Disk Utility and Windows drive tools to check for errors but both report the drive is okay.

Please can you help,

Thanking you, Anton
    Hi,

I had the same problem, you have to change the folders permissions. you can find how to do it here https://becomethesolution.com/blogs/...terminal-mac-x

Re: NTFS Cannot access files and folders (all okay on Windows though)

Quote Originally Posted by Adi View Post
    Hi,

I had the same problem, you have to change the folders permissions. you can find how to do it here https://becomethesolution.com/blogs/...terminal-mac-x
    Thanks! This worked perfectly.

However, I'm also having HUGE problems with deleting files and folder from the USB using my mac. After moving them to the Trash I cannot empty it "rm -rf" doesn't even work??!

MacBook-Pro:~ anton$ rm -r /Volumes/Anton/.Trashes/171027\ Folder-PDF\&DWG
    rm: /Volumes/Anton/.Trashes/501/171027 Folder-PDF&DWG: Directory not empty

(note that for some reason "501" is added to the path, however, I cannot see this in Finder? I've tried the command with, and without, the 501.

Even when I use sudo rm -rf I get a message saying the directory is not empty.

This is serious problem with NTFS on mac using Paragon

I've tried formatting the drive and starting from scratch using Paragon, however, the problem reoccurs instantly..