Thread: Unable to mount WD external, NTFS, 2TB drive since upgrade to macOS High Sierra

Unable to mount WD external, NTFS, 2TB drive since upgrade to macOS High Sierra

Hello All,

I recently upgraded to macOS High Sierra.

Under macOS Sierra I could mount & read my 2TB NTFS external Western Digital Ultra & Regular Passport drives. I've tested them on a Macbook Air running macOS Sierra, they also mount fine.

Since the upgrade to High Sierra the drives appear (in Paragon NTFS & Disk Utility only) but I'm unable to mount them. I've actually upgraded the firmware of the drives (using a PC and going to WD support pages) and they still don't mount.

I'm using a trial version of the Paragon NTFS for Mac 15 (which will last me another few days)

Has anyone had this issue? I'm thinking of taking the time to format my drives from a PC in exFAT format (or at least one of them, to ensure I can use on my work PC)...but that would defeat the purpose of what Paragon praises with the NTFS for Mac 15.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Re: Unable to mount WD external, NTFS, 2TB drive since upgrade to macOS High Sierra

Me as well. It's impossible to mount any NTFS drive, though any other format is being mounted properly.

Dimitris

Re: Unable to mount WD external, NTFS, 2TB drive since upgrade to macOS High Sierra

Same problem here. After High Sierra upgrade the ONLY way I managed to mount NTFS drives was by disabling csrutil in osx recovery. But it isn't a good solution, since it leaves the system unprotected.

This was happening to me, until I remembered something.

During installation, macOS High Sierra gave me a dialog box saying that its Security & Privacy feature blocked Paragon from something. When I clicked OK, the box disappeared, and I completely forgot about it until it happened again while installing another driver.

I went to Settings > Security & Privacy, and near the bottom of that window it told me that some installations had been blocked, and gave me an option to allow them. I did this for Paragon and for the other driver I was installing, and after a quick restart the problem was solved.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot Glenn!!

It worked!! Though, to see that Paragon had been blocked, I had to have my external drive connected (even if it wouldn't mount). If you don't connect your drive, nothing will appear under the Security & Privacy tab...haha.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Menvedidos View Post
    Thanks a lot Glenn!!

It worked!! Though, to see that Paragon had been blocked, I had to have my external drive connected (even if it wouldn't mount). If you don't connect your drive, nothing will appear under the Security & Privacy tab...haha.

Thanks again!
    Glad I could help!

I feel Apple is to blame for this. I don't mind its Security & Privacy feature blocking threats, but the OS could stand to do more to make known when it does, and present the option to override the decision.

That didn’t work for me. Even with the external hd connected it wont show that some installations had been blocked...

same problem in 2019, latest version of paragon - ver .59. I feel like I have been scammed.