Thread: How to move data partition to new drive

How to move data partition to new drive

I have an SSD in my laptop with 3 partitions (C (windows 10), D and E). My SSD was running full so I decided to install an extra SSD into my laptop. So far so good. Now I would like to migrate/move the E: partition from the "old" SSD to the "new" SSD to make some space on the "old" SSD. Could somebody explain to me how do I do that? To avoid any misunderstanding: I would like the E: partition still to be labeled E: after the migration to the "new" SSD. I'm running Windows 10 with Paragon Partition Manager 15 Home.

Thanks.
    Last edited by jazz; 14.09.17 at 20:46.

Re: How to move data partition to new drive

Hi,
    The detailed instructions can be found in the manual starting on page 61: http://download.paragon-software.com...ser-Manual.pdf
    You can leave the E: partition unchanged and assign a new partition with any vacant letter as you want, except C:.

Re: How to move data partition to new drive

Quote Originally Posted by John Paragon View Post
    You can leave the E: partition unchanged and assign a new partition with any vacant letter as you want, except C:.
    Thanks for your quick reply. Maybe I do not understand but when I read this, it only makes a backup to the new SSD. At step 6 it says: "6. Edit the default archive name and description in the ‘Archive details’ section if necessary. Click Next to proceed." I do not want to make a backup. All I want to do is to move the partition from one physical disk to another, without breaking any links to files and folders that exist on my laptop and being able to immediately use the partition again as if nothing has changed (except that under the hood the E partition has moved from one physical drive to the other). Is the scenario you referred to suitable for my needs?

Another way to do this might be the following:
    1. create a new partition on the unallocated space on the new SSD and call it e.g. Q:
    2. Copy all data from the E: partition to the Q: partition
    3. Delete the E: partition (and remove the drive letter)
    4. Change the Q: drive letter into E:
    This seems like a very cumbersome way to do something that PM maybe can do much easier. Moreover I'm not sure whether this will break any links to files and folders (e.g. OneDrive and Dropbox that are currently on my E drive).