Thread: ExtFS for Mac: Avoid writing hidden Mac files?

Question ExtFS for Mac: Avoid writing hidden Mac files?

Is there a way to avoid letting OSX write all the "._" files to the non-HFS+ drive?

I would like to share the files, but any time OSX writes to the drive, it also creates these resource files for anything it touches. Since I also sync most files on the drive to Dropbox, every time any file gets updated by Dropbox, it leaves these everywhere.

Being a developer, it is super inconvenient to simply hide "hidden" files, as there are files which I need to access often that are hidden.

This is a pre-sales question. The one major thing stopping me from purchasing this driver is this issue. Otherwise, I will probably try HFS without journaling on this drive, which Ubuntu can mount r/w.

Re: ExtFS for Mac: Avoid writing hidden Mac files?

Hi,
    Though it`s rather OS X feature to handle ExtFS, we will try to do something. Please submit your request to Paragon Support.

It would be a great feature to add to ExtFS for Mac. From what I've seen scouring the web over this issue over the past weeks, it is not just me who would like an easier solution. OSXFuse is too difficult to get right for the average user, and even then, write access is not reliable, or recommended (I tried it). HFS mounting in Linux is doable, but only without journaling, which makes that less reliable (trying it now anyway, because I want to see just how unreliable for the trade-off of no file pollution... and its free).

Ext4 mounting in Mac OSX could be the cleanest solution. Your tool is nicely polished and easy to install and use as well. If these extended attribute files could be eliminated from the mounted ExtFS drive, it would be a perfect solution, IMO.

Also, this is bound to be an issue with any non-HFS+ filesystem. So, I would think this feature could add a selling point to all of your Mac filesystem driver products.

I don't mind that the osx files are copied, just as long as they can be hidden. It just a pain.