Thread: Dual Boot MacBook Pro without BootCamp

Dual Boot MacBook Pro without BootCamp

I have a dual boot MacBook Pro (mid 2017) with Mac OS X Sierra and Windows 10. I did my own partitioning and installed Windows 10 natively without using BootCamp. Using Hard Disk Manager, I created a backup of the entire disk, which is broken down into the following 6 partitions ALL OF WHICH are GPT Volumes:

1. EFI (OEM Serive Volume System Reserved Partition) 300 MB Created automatically during Sierra OS X install
    2. Macintosh HD (HFS) 70.1 GB Partition which Sierra OS X was installed on
    3. Recovery HD (System Reserved Partition) 619.8 MB Created automatically during Sierra OS X install
    4. Local Disk (System Reserved Partition) 16 MB Created automatically during Windows 10 install
    5. Win 10 (NTFS) 73.2 GB Partition which Windows 10 was installed on
    6. Data (NTFS) 89.4 GB Partition which Windows 10 User Profiles were installed on

I am able to format and restore partitions 4, 5 and 6 which are all Windows 10 partitions without any problems and am able to reboot back into Windows 10 and everything works great.

The problem I am having is when I restored partitions 1, 2 and 3, I was only able to boot into the Mac OS X recovery partition by holding down the command + R key during boot, but not into Mac OS X itself.

I am not sure what the problem is, but none of the partitions are hidden and there was no option to set a particular partition as active. Am I doing something wrong or should I purchase Paragon Hard Disk Manager for Mac and use that or is what I am looking to do just not possible with my setup?

Re: Dual Boot MacBook Pro without BootCamp

Hi,
    Please let me know what is happening if you press and hold Alt (Option) immediately after your Mac begins to restart. Additionally, check, if your Windows is set as the default operating system in System Preferences, then click Startup Disk.

Re: Dual Boot MacBook Pro without BootCamp

When I restore the OS X partition, I get the following error message:

File system has allocation errors due to cross-linked files. Run OS built-in tools for checking and correcting this kind of errors. (source: Hard Disk Manager)

I believe the issue has to do with Apple core-sortage, which requires a special sort of backup.

https://kb.paragon-software.com/article/1144