Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 cannot boot after installing HFS driver

Windows 10 cannot boot after installing HFS driver

I installed the Paragon HFS driver on my Windows 10 x64 system and it can't boot anymore - it always goes into auto-repairing and diagnostics mode and says that it had startup problems. I have tried selecting safe mode in startup options but once I do that it restarts and the cycle begins again, i.e. even safe mode won't work.

I would like not to use system restore because I don't have a recent enough restore point. I do however have a full system backup that dates a couple of weeks back, I could use that. But I want to first try resolve this issue without restoring from a backup. Any suggestions?

Re: Windows 10 cannot boot after installing HFS driver

Nevermind, used system restore.

Hi,

Please Boot from Windows Recovery or Install disk, choose Troubleshoot - Advanced options - Command prompt.

1. Open the registry editor: regedit
    This loads the registry editor with a temporary registry, not the windows registry from the hard disk. For emergency make a registry backup.
    Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in the registry tree, and go to the File menu and choose "Load Hive".
    Open the registry hive file SYSTEM from the location: C:\Windows\System32\Config
    Give it a random name different to any of the existing names (the name doesn't matter).

Make the necessary changes to the registry hive:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - Loaded hive - System - ControlSet001 - Services. The following entries should be deleted from there:
    HFSPlus
    HFSPlusRec
    gpt_loader
    apmwin
    mounthlp
    csvol

Also find the following values:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Loaded Hive\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27 CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}\UpperFilters
    Please delete mounthlp

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Loaded Hive\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\UpperFilters\
    Please delete gpt_loader and apmwin

Select the registry hive you edited, go to File, and choose "Unload Hive".

2. Delete HFS+ for Windows 11 from C:\Program Files(x86)\Paragon Software\

Then exit the recovery console and restart. The registry should have been changed.
    Last edited by John Paragon; 10.08.17 at 17:18.

Question Re: Windows 10 cannot boot after installing HFS driver

Thank you, this really saved my computer. Your instructions were very good!

I'd like to find out what is the reason for this misbehaviour and whether I can still install the software on my Windows.

I had used the software on my computer before without any problem. Recently however I changed my hard disk to an SSD and installed a newer version of Windows 10.

I really like this software and I need it to work with mac formatted disks so if it's possible I would like to use it. Thank you.

Do you think it would be safe to reinstall or maybe you need more information to be able to reply to this question.

Kind Regards,
    Ravi Shee

I have the same problem. Installed Paragon HFS+ 11 on my windows 10 laptop and im in a boot loop. I can access windows repair but safe mode does not work either. I tried what you suggest here, windows tries to boot but then it gets stuck and i need to go through a manual switch off and on and taken back to repair again.

Please provide clear instructions on how to uninstall every single file and registry entry. I unfortunately didnt have any restore points so i need to resolve this as soon as possible.

Also i could not find "CurrentControlSet" under the loaded SYSTEM hive

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Loaded Hive\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27 CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}\UpperFilters
    Please delete mounthlp

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Loaded Hive\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\UpperFilters\
    Please delete gpt_loader and apmwin
    Last edited by cpiro; 09.11.18 at 10:57.

Hi, cpiro

I also had to adapt the instructions a bit, like inside the loaded hive I couldn't find SYSTEM. So if I remember well, I did it in user. It worked. I only had an old restore point and didn't want a lot of install work go to waste, so I tried this walkthrough.
    Last edited by Ravi; 09.11.18 at 12:24.

Hi and thanks for replying!

All good, It was actually

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Loaded Hive\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{71A27 CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}\UpperFilters

not

I am never going near Paragon software again. Good thing i didn't buy it before trying out the trial.

This is completely and utterly unacceptable.

I cant imagine how many people formatted their hard drives due to this.

Right, same for me only I didn't remember well.
    I had used several paragon programs before, and I even had the very same same build of hfs+ installed on other laptops (with hdd and ssd) without problems. This happened to me when installing on an ssd.

Good to hear you're out of trouble. What a relief when it boots up again, huh?

It is indeed! Just a hustle when you have work to do going through this.

Quote Originally Posted by cpiro View Post
    Hi and thanks for replying!

All good, It was actually

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Loaded Hive\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{71A27 CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}\UpperFilters

not

I am never going near Paragon software again. Good thing i didn't buy it before trying out the trial.

This is completely and utterly unacceptable.

I cant imagine how many people formatted their hard drives due to this.

hi is UPPERFILTERS supposed to be another folder? Cause it wont show up on mine?