Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive Replacement Using Free Tools?

Hard Drive Replacement Using Free Tools?

Hello,

I have a dual boot Win2K / WinXP system with one failing hard drive (SMART Caution). I would like to replace both of the hard drives and use this system as a spare/backup.

The System currently has an XP drive and a 2K drive each 120GB. Each drive has 3 partitions. The first is system/boot the remaining 2 are data.

The new drives are 320GB each. Because of this I would like to enlarge the partition sizes (at least on the boot partition) during the restore operation.

I also have a fully functional Windows 7 system that has a single external SATA bay that can be used for mounting either old or new drives one at a time. This system will be running the backup/restore software.

So is it possible to do what I want using the free Parqagon tools? Can anyone provide an overview of the process workflow that I should follow to accomplish this job. I do know how to RTFM but at this point I need to know which manual! There are quite a few and some of them are put in non-obvious places. It took me about 6 tries to build the rescue media not understanding the VIM vs. WAIK/APK stuff.

Thanks,
    Steve

Re: Hard Drive Replacement Using Free Tools?

Migration can be done in different ways and with the help of various free Paragon tools. You can directly clone from one disk to another, and you can first backup one disk and then deploy this backup to another disk.
    Did you pay attention to the Drive Copy? https://www.paragon-software.com/home/dc-xp/

Sorry, DC14XP won't work as the XP system is the one being repaired. It also has only 2 SATA interfaces so there would be no place to attach one of the new drives. The "mule" machine to do the disk copying and restore is a Windows 7 box. What are my options under this situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sr. View Post
    The "mule" machine to do the disk copying and restore is a Windows 7 box.
    OK. The procedure is approximately the following:
    1. Connect the first source disk (120 GB). Make a backup of the whole disk.
    2. Disconnect the source disk, connect the target disk (320 GB). Restore a backup to it.
    Since you want to resize partitions at your own discretion, it's better to restore not once at a time but one at a time, partition by partition. For example, first the system partition, then increase its size, then restore the data partitions. It is possible in the reverse order - first partitions with data, but at the end of the disk, then on all free space from the beginning of the disk, deploy the system partition.
    Do the same with the second pair of disks.
    Is there any program on your Win7 PC that Paragon can create / deploy backups? This is important, and you can increase the size of the partition by using the built-in diskmgmt Windows.
    PM14Free - can back up / restore and can resize partitions.
    RK14Free - does not require installation in the OS, the installer immediately offers to write to the bootable media.
    HDM16Preview - has a migration wizard, you can directly copy from disk to disk, avoiding an intermediate backup. If you make an recovery media with it, you can perform the task on a 2-port PC.
    I would probably in your place prefer the option with PM14 and with the old format of backup pbf (me it is more than pvhd).

Quote Originally Posted by fireworker View Post
    Is there any program on your Win7 PC that Paragon can create / deploy backups? This is important, and you can increase the size of the partition by using the built-in diskmgmt Windows.
    PM14Free - can back up / restore and can resize partitions.
    RK14Free - does not require installation in the OS, the installer immediately offers to write to the bootable media.
    I am assuming that you are saying that I will need one of these programs. Yes, I was planning on using Paragon to backup the Win 7 PC as well. Based on this should I use PM14Free or PM16free?

I would probably in your place prefer the option with PM14 and with the old format of backup pbf (me it is more than pvhd).
    PM14 offers the old PBF format as standard but also allows the new pVHD format as an option. Why do you recommend the old format? I can see it not making much difference for disk replacement but what about backing up the Win 7 PC?

Thanks,
    Steve

Steve wait, PM14 is no good. I just installed it and saw that Paragon had locked backup options. In general, it is unclear why this program is needed.
    I apologize for my mistake. Now I will try BR14 and I'll shoot the video.

Why do you recommend the old format?
    I'm retrograde. And not in vain. With each new version Paragon reduces the functionality of its programs.
    Last edited by fireworker; 08.08.17 at 19:44.

BR2014Free
    1. Full backup hdd 120
    2. Restore to 320

Steve wait, PM14 is no good. I just installed it and saw that Paragon had locked backup options. In general, it is unclear why this program is needed.
    I apologize for my mistake. Now I will try BR14 and I'll shoot the video.
    Paragon has too many programs with two letter abbreviations! I was thinking BR14 anyway! Thanks for the videos. If it rains as much as predicted in the next few days I should have time to give this a try.

[QUOTE=fireworker;6437]I'm retrograde. And not in vain. With each new version Paragon reduces the functionality of its programs.[/QUOTE

This was part of my original concern... that I would not be able to do what I needed with the free tools. Looks like BR14 is a good compromise as it supports both file formats.

I looked at the manual and your video and it looks like I should do the individual partition restore one at a time and set partition sizes at each restore.

However, both drives are bootable as part of a dual boot 2K / XP system. If I restore the bootable partition do I have to do anything to make sure that it writes the original MBR (should be the one that it backed up) on the new partition? It won't work if BR14 only restores the data and not the MBR.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Sr.; 16.08.17 at 03:28.

I looked at the manual and your video and it looks like I should do the individual partition restore one at a time and set partition sizes at each restore.
    You can at one time, restore the disk partitions "as it was" (0:18) or "increase proportionally" (0:20). But resizing partitions after recovery will take a lot longer than if you specify sizes previously.

However, both drives are bootable as part of a dual boot 2K / XP system. If I restore the bootable partition do I have to do anything to make sure that it writes the original MBR (should be the one that it backed up) on the new partition? It won't work if BR14 only restores the data and not the MBR.
    Don't worry, the BR14 will take care of the Windows bootability, by default. Even if you decide to change the number, size and order of partions.
    Last edited by fireworker; 18.08.17 at 08:09.