Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive Replacement Using Free Tools?

Re: Hard Drive Replacement Using Free Tools?

I have been doing a little research on the 2K boot issue. It appears that the 0x78 "Inaccessible Boot Device" BSOD is somewhat common in many windows versions. I am sure that Paragon has probably seen this many times before and probably knows how to fix it since their tools caused it. Did you ever have any luck contacting them?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sr. View Post
    Did you ever have any luck contacting them?
    They disappeared somewhere.

System partition W2K is available from XP, the files are in their places? (Take screenshots from XP "Disk Management" and root of W2K boot partition in Explorer)
    Previously, on old drives W2K booted normally?

Quote Originally Posted by fireworker View Post
    Holiday season should be over soon. Maybe they will come back then!

System partition W2K is available from XP, the files are in their places? (Take screenshots from XP "Disk Management" and root of W2K boot partition in Explorer)
    Please see attached files. Drive 0 appears to be accessible from XP.

Previously, on old drives W2K booted normally?
    Even though I don't use 2K much any more, I did check before the drive swap and it still booted normally.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did your Support Ticket disappear or get Closed? Their automated response email to you when they reply has worked for some time and if you don't respond, they close your ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sr. View Post
    Please see attached files.
    Very unusual configuration. This unusualness can confuse some programs. And now, if only one disk of two is connected, none of both Windows will boot.
    Please, show environment variables in Windows XP (Run -> cmd -> set)?

Quote Originally Posted by wptski View Post
    Did your Support Ticket disappear or get Closed? Their automated response email to you when they reply has worked for some time and if you don't respond, they close your ticket.
    I did not create a ticket, because I can not send them logs or other details if needed.
    I wrote in their PM here, on the forum, unrequited. And in my skype there are contacts, they are inactive these days and don't respond.

Very unusual configuration. This unusualness can confuse some programs. And now, if only one disk of two is connected, none of both Windows will boot.
    A dual boot setup really is not that uncommon. The bigger issue is that Paragon BR is billed as a drive imaging program. By definition this should mean *exact* copies and *identical* restores. We have already seen that this is NOT true with the boot.ini file and who knows what else that is unseen and likely causing this issue. Where the process deviates from this functionality the software should at least notify the user and better yet ask permission before making any changes that might affect restored results.

[QUOTE=fireworker;6597]Please, show environment variables in Windows XP (Run -> cmd -> set)?

Please see the attached files

I did not create a ticket, because I can not send them logs or other details if needed.
    This brings up a good point. Are there log files somewhere that details what transpired during the backup and restore process? This may provide clues to the underlying issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have been looking through the manual and the settings in the program itself. There are 2 settings which look like they might be relevant...

1. Partition alignment - defaults to Vista. I think that the 2K system is SP4 which should be alright with 4K and larger drive.

The manual doesn't indicate if this happens on Backup, Restore, or Both.

2. Backup RAW option - Should this have been used to prevent BR14 from thinking too much?

Please create an ticket to Paragon support https://my.paragon-software.com/#/login

Hi,
    The 0x7B (not 0x78!) INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE issue after migrating Win2K to a larger disk is a hardware compatibility problem. All one can do using Paragon free tools is:
    1) Copy HD or backup-restore the entire 2 disks maintaining the order of the partitions to the 2 new disks (keep original size or resize proportionally). All stuff about resizing partitions can wait and just complicates the task. No partition-by-partition work. Verify success, save log files.
    2) Now connect the two copied HDD in the correct order replacing the original disks on the original PC, maintaining SATA mode.
    3) Verify detection of both disks by the BIOS.
    4) Boot from Paragon recovery disk. Check Boot Corrector -> Detect OS. Verify that all parameters needed for bootability are given. If not, change here resp. Update MBR, correct boot.ini.
    5) Now check BIOS to boot from the right HDD to load the boot manager.
    6) Driver problem correction by WinPE-P2P wizard require to provide the needed drivers manually, since the automatic adjustment probably won't help for such old systems.
    7) If 0x7B on the migrated W2K disk is stubborn, re-use the original disk, only migrating XP on the second disk.

Sorry for my delayed response but I had a bit of a hardware issue. The hard drive cage with the drives in it fell into the case and onto the processor breaking the cheap plastic clamp that holds the heatsink on the processor. I have a new one on order but it won't be here until the end of the week. It will probably be the week of the 11th. before I have everything ready to continue. In the meantime I need some clarification of a few of the steps below.

Quote Originally Posted by John Paragon View Post
    1) Copy HD or backup-restore the entire 2 disks maintaining the order of the partitions to the 2 new disks (keep original size or resize proportionally). All stuff about resizing partitions can wait and just complicates the task. No partition-by-partition work. Verify success, save log files.
    1. Since the XP disk seems to function normally should I repeat the backup/restore on it as well?
    2. I am assuming that this can be done on the Win 7 PC?

3) Verify detection of both disks by the BIOS.
    The BIOS detects both disks properly already.

4) Boot from Paragon recovery disk. Check Boot Corrector -> Detect OS. Verify that all parameters needed for bootability are given. If not, change here resp. Update MBR, correct boot.ini.
    Which RK variant should I use? The only one that I could make that would boot on the old 32 bit system is the Linux x32 BIOS. This one takes about 5 minutes to load (no kidding!) and I don't recall seeing anything that said "Boot Corrector" in it. Is Boot Corrector only in WinPE RK environments? If needed I have a 3rd XP PC which I think could be used to make a WinPE recovery environment. What should I do?

6) Driver problem correction by WinPE-P2P wizard require to provide the needed drivers manually, since the automatic adjustment probably won't help for such old systems.
    1. What is P2P Wizard and where do I find it?
    2. Where would I find the new drivers? I noticed that XP found new hardware the first time it booted from the new drive. I don't know if it installed new drivers or not. Is there any way to tell?

7) If 0x7B on the migrated W2K disk is stubborn, re-use the original disk, only migrating XP on the second disk.
    This would be a last resort. Both old drives are identical and have the same power on hours. One is already failing according to SMART the other can't be far behind.