Thread: Trial version of Backup and Restore did not backup/and/or restore certain W10 files.

Trial version of Backup and Restore did not backup/and/or restore certain W10 files.

First time to Paragon and I am trialling B&R16 with W10.

As a first test I ran a chain of incremental backups which was then followed by a restore. The restored image was missing all of the password/cookie files for Microsoft Edge browser. All login details and site preferences for 'Favourites' were absent.

It seems surprising that the default settings for B&R would give this result.

There appears to be an option for excluded file types with many types being shown as excluded by default, however there is no indication as to what these files extensions refer to.

The only reason I have persevered (and registered here) is because other impressions of the product were quite favourable. When I make a system image or chain of images I want the restored image to be functionally identical to how it was at the time the backup was made.

I also noted that W10 update history was also missing from the restored image.

Do you have any advice ? A list of what all the file exclusions relate to would also be useful.

Thanks.

Re: Trial version of Backup and Restore did not backup/and/or restore certain W10 fil

Quite a lot of views to the question but no thoughts from anyone. Doesn't bode well tbh. I have raised the issue with Paragon and will await a reply.

Re: Trial version of Backup and Restore did not backup/and/or restore certain W10 fil

No response from Paragon, and no response on here despite 50+ views of the question.

I have concluded that this software and it support (or lack of) does not meet my needs or expectations.

B&R may not have the options as other Paragon apps to include or skip certain files.

I was simply very surprised that the default setting would not give a functionally correct and working restored image. It appears that the exclusions available are simply more files that can be added to the exclude list, not items that can be taken off it.

So the product is a dud, and Paragon official support still have not replied to what should have been a simply query.

I moved on to AOMEI and found the product works in all respects, and a bonus is that the free version doing more than could be reasonably expected (feature rich). In total contrast to Paragon, any communication with the company has given a response within hours.

I always keep my passwords in a separate windows note file and so I have them. If I ever have to restore to full restore, I usually rebuild the OS boot disk from scratch then the programs. All of my uninstalled programs are on a separate disk as I usually download the programs or copy them from the CD / DVD onto a file called unstalled programs. (yes I a few hard drives). I keep the OS boot disk separate from others but backup the user files (on the OS disk) only.