Thread: VMDK Mounter driver bugs

VMDK Mounter driver bugs

Hello,

I think your VMDK Mounter software has lots of bugs.

1. It doesn't allow to unload after loading. This may be an architecture limitation, so I'm willing to let this go, however without this I need to restart my system every use of 'vdmutil attach', due to other bugs.

2. It doesn't properly mount disks. I have a linked clone of a virtual machine with a VMDK disk that specifies the "parent disk". The "parent disk" path is stored inside the VMDK file in the "parentFileNameHint" property. Your VMDK Mounter is not able to read this path properly:

Code:
    $ pwd
    /Users/antek/test/vms/cloned/xxx

$ cat Virtual\ Disk-cl1.vmdk| head -n 10
    KDMV??

# Disk DescriptorFile
    version=1
    encoding="UTF-8"
    CID=f51136ba
    parentCID=f51136ba
    isNativeSnapshot="no"
    createType="monolithicSparse"
    parentFileNameHint="/Users/antek/test/vms/xxx/Virtual Disk-000005.vmdk"

$ vdmutil attach Virtual\ Disk-cl1.vmdk 
    Error 0xa0000e06 : Cannot open parent disk "/Users/antek/test/vms/cloned/Users/antek/test/vms/xxx/Virtual Disk-000005.vmdk"

$ ls -la "/Users/antek/test/vms/xxx/Virtual Disk-000005.vmdk"
    -rw-------  1 antek  staff  564068352 Jun 29 11:35 /Users/antek/fatman/vms/xxx/Virtual Disk-000005.vmdk

$ ls -la "/Users/antek/test/vms/cloned/Users/antek/test/vms/xxx/Virtual Disk-000005.vmdk" 
    -rw-------  1 antek  staff  564068352 Jun 29 11:35 /Users/antek/test/vms/cloned/Users/antek/test/vms/xxx/Virtual Disk-000005.vmdk
    Even if I create a symbolic link so that this path is valid, the "vdmutil" tool will display the same error string. Best thing is that it *sometimes works*, shortly after I reboot my system. But later it breaks, and doesn't work until I reboot my system (i.e. unload the driver and load it again).

Are there any chances of fixing this?
    Last edited by antek; 11.07.17 at 13:03.