Thread: Single file restore

Single file restore

I want to restore just a single text file to the desktop. I'm using Backup&Recovery 16 Free on Windows 10.

I have a full backup. I followed the instructions to restore a file and started the restore. After a while, I received this popup:

Capture.JPG

NTFS volume contains 2 encrypted file(s). Please restore
    entire volume to avoid data loss. Do you want to break
    operation? Yes / No
    Could someone please help me decode this? My disk itself is not encrypted, but it's quite possible there are a couple of encrypted files somewhere among my files. Why would this matter? Why would the contents of a file matter? And furthermore, why would the contents of some other file on my disk cause me to have to restore the entire volume just to get at a single unencrypted file?

What does 'break operation' mean?

By the way, not understanding this, I chose 'yes' and this is what happened next:

Capture2.JPG

Volume exclusive access is required to complete the operation.
    What would you like to do?
    The operation Restore partitions or disks from virtual containers needs exclusive access to volume C: and cannot be completed. Please retry or cancel the operation.
    This sounds scary! All I want to do is restore a single file to my desktop! At this point, I hit cancel.

So how do I do this? Maybe I should have hit 'no'?

Re: Single file restore

I saw in another post that it's possible to mount the backup. So I tried this. And... I got a blue screen! My laptop crashed! It said in the blue screen something like 'Reference by Pointer'.

Some more details about this which might be helpful. The backup I made went to a network disk on a Synology Disk Station. So it was an SMB network disk connection. I used Paragon to connect to the network disk when I created the backup, supplying the username and password directly to Paragon. This disk was also mounted on another drive letter at the same time, but not sure if this is a problem. When I asked Paragon to mount this backup, I chose a different drive letter and I was hoping to see my backup on this drive letter. After I pressed the Next button, all seemed fine. I went into the File Explorer to try and access the new drive letter and Explorer seemed to hang (but all other open windows were fine). Explorer said in the banner that it wasn't responding. Several minutes later, poof, blue screen.

I think it did a crash dump if that's useful to someone. Contact me if so.
    Last edited by mgrant; 30.06.17 at 01:02.

I find it difficult to understand the sequence of your actions, it looks like you were trying to restore the whole С: drive ..
    Before you start the recovery process, did you choose the text file you want to extract and the location where to put it?
    BR16Free.png

Yes I did. I chose the single txt file by navigating into the tree selector and put a check box next to the single file I wanted to restore. Then, on the next screen, I selected to not overwrite the file. I'm not sure what name it will give it but anything different will do.

And yes you're correct it seems like I'm about to restore the whole C drive which is why I aborted! But I was following the instructions in the manual for restoring a single file, so perhaps it wasn't going to restore the whole disk, only that file.

I like the idea of mounting the backup, that seems less scary to me. I sure wish that would work.

I downloaded BR16Free today, and so far I have not learned everything. I have not created any backups with it, My Backups is empty, I can't mount anything. In addition, the manual says: "Backup partitions will only be mounted for the current session and will not be available after the system restart;" (Page 42)
    Here's what I noticed: If BR16 who running from partition C: restore the file (s) to this partition C: from the backup of this partition C: (from image stored on NAS) then BR16 thinks for a very long time. The first time I could not stand it and clicked "cancel". And I saw these scary popups. It seems the alarm turned out to be false. In fact, nothing terrible should not happen.
    And if from the backup of another partition - then they are extracted almost instantly.
    I think the developers of Paragon should to little polished in this place.
    Last edited by fireworker; 30.06.17 at 15:07.