Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless backup to NAS

Wireless backup to NAS

Hello!
    Just curious, I have been attempting to backup my PC's drives to my NAS unit. Unfortunately, always near the end, there is a connection drop or error. Usually after about 10 hours or longer of transfer. Paragon just drops it like a hot rock. Is there a setting to extend the program from just ending, say 5 or 10 minutes? Or even better, an option to allow it to pick up where it left off in case of a glitch in connection? I have to always start from scratch unless I'm just not seeing this option?
    I did just order a faster Wireless WIFI router, but an option to allow the program to continue where it left off would be superior!!
    Thank you!

Re: Wireless backup to NAS

Hi,
    There is not yet such a function to pick up the repeated backup from the breakpoint. A user has to repeat the backup from the very beginning or check, what is backed up and what is not, and backup the rest.
    The reliable connection is required for a successful backup to NAS especially via WiFi. It`s advisable to test the network connectivity before backing up by copying a sufficiently big file to the destination folder. The size should be comparable to the archive fragment size (default 4 GB). See if the transfer completes successfully. If the network problem confirms, you need to troubleshoot it before backing up. The most basic troubleshooting steps are to check network interface drivers, ping the destination with big packets, and traceroute it to see if there’s some data loss and where it occurs. It’s also advisable to check the physical connection.
    To increase a backup performance it`s recommended to enable archive splitting as follows: Home => Settings => Backup=> checkbox enable image splitting”.

Quote Originally Posted by John Paragon View Post
    To increase a backup performance it`s recommended to enable archive splitting as follows: Home => Settings => Backup=> checkbox enable image splitting”.
    Thanks John! I will do exactly this. Unfortunately Linksys is notorious for "dropping" connection at any given time.. The new router should arrive anytime!

I'm curious. Just what Paragon product and OS are you using? Not all current Paragon products are working with a NAS when it comes to restoring an image using the recovery media.
    Last edited by wptski; 01.06.17 at 15:12.

Quote Originally Posted by wptski View Post
    I'm curious. Just what Paragon product and OS are you using? Not all current Paragon products are working with a NAS when it comes to restoring an image using the recovery media.
    I'm using the Hard Disk Manager 15 Suite On a Windows 10. I installed a faster router and internal network PCI card. So far no problems, but I have not tried to restore anything..... I should give it a go on some junk folder......

Quote Originally Posted by judas_64 View Post
    I'm using the Hard Disk Manager 15 Suite On a Windows 10. I installed a faster router and internal network PCI card. So far no problems, but I have not tried to restore anything..... I should give it a go on some junk folder......
    Try creating a recovery USB flash drive, see if it'll show your NAS and it's shares.

Try creating a recovery USB flash drive, see if it'll show your NAS and it's shares.
    Nope, it does not.... Hmmm.... Would upgrading to professional work?

Nope, it does not.... Hmmm.... Would upgrading to professional work?
    Yes I know for a fact that it does but why should it take more money from you to get that to work when it did before? Funny, my Support Ticket for this from November last year on this problem which hasn't been addressed has been closed! I opened another one asking about this closure, no reply for several days now. I'm rather disappointed with Paragon as I've been using HDMS since v12!

Yes I know for a fact that it does but why should it take more money from you to get that to work when it did before? Funny, my Support Ticket for this from November last year on this problem which hasn't been addressed has been closed! I opened another one asking about this closure, no reply for several days now. I'm rather disappointed with Paragon as I've been using HDMS since v12!
    You're Absolutely right. No need to spend another $50. I too will open a ticket! What good is this backup If I can not access from my NAS. I tried fiddling with this all night. It looks like they want you to load drivers for the wireless or ethernet connection as well as drivers for the network source....... They should have it plug and play!
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention!!

You're Absolutely right. No need to spend another $50. I too will open a ticket! What good is this backup If I can not access from my NAS. I tried fiddling with this all night. It looks like they want you to load drivers for the wireless or ethernet connection as well as drivers for the network source....... They should have it plug and play!
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention!!
    Normally a NAS is plug/play or no drivers. I'm in touch again now. Seems their email notification isn't working so if one doesn't respond, they close the ticket after so many days.

The bad part is that were starting from scratch again, telling me to install drivers all over again! :-(

BTW-My account, I could update to HDM15 Pro for $30 off but still, I should have to even do that, I think.