Thread: Cloning ssd drives within the laptop

Cloning ssd drives within the laptop

Hello,

I have installed a second ssd in my laptop. (My laptop supports two on-board drives).

I would now like to clone from my primary SSD (128gb) (as I have run out of space!) to my second SSD (256gb).

My question is that once the process is complete is it just a case for me to turn off laptop; swap drives and startup?.

Also if this is the case, once I restart, it is then safe to delete data on old primary SSD (128gb) which would be in the laptop's second slot?

Lastly, if above is correct, when the system is rebooting, will it go to dual boot or ignore the old ssd

(Primnary drive is 128gb ssd, second drive is 256gb SSD).

Windows 7 x64 on Dell E7240.

Kind regards,

Naz.

Re: Cloning ssd drives within the laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Wiredsafe View Post
    Hello,

My question is that once the process is complete is it just a case for me to turn off laptop; swap drives and startup?.

Hi Naz...Yes, your laptop will always start-up with the OS that's first.

Also if this is the case, once I restart, it is then safe to delete data on old primary SSD (128gb) which would be in the laptop's second slot?

That, kind of, leads me to my 1st forum question that I'm leary about and will be posting shortly.... After the clone is finished, check both drives and make sure they are the same size of data on each drive.

Lastly, if above is correct, when the system is rebooting, will it go to dual boot or ignore the old ssd

If you make a new disk with another separate OS (purchased from Microsoft), then the work around is to go to "Recovery" and then choose start-up with whichever drive you want. My computer tech once had my computer where it had the selection of each drive on the front-end but that went away somehow and now I just do this work around I stumbled on. Hope that helps.
    Good luck, "BookemT"

Re: Cloning ssd drives within the laptop

I believe that if you did the copy by using the "MIGRATE" function, you can just turn off the machine, and install the 256 G drive as the primary slot; take OUT the 128 G drive; and try to boot up. Worst case, it does not work, and then back to original configurateion.

I MIGRATED an internal 500 G conventional drive, to an EXTERNAL 256 G SSD drive (paragon shrunk the main partition appropriately) then opened the case, took out the 500 G drive, and inserted the 256 G SSD drive, trned it on, and voila ! it booted up. I do not feel that your configuration should be any different, as long as the MIGRATE process looks like it competetd successfully.

re: wiping out 128 G drive - I would run the machine for couple weeks with the 256 G drive, make sure it is stable, before erasing the 128 G drive. AND, to be doubly sure, possibly do an IMAGE backup of the 128 G drive, to an eXTERNAL larger drive, and make sure to CHECK BACKUP INTEGRITY after CREATING the IMAGE bckup (that is one of the options in paragon, in PHDM 16, once IMAGE is created)

QUESTION - for future, to manipulate newer drives, get an inexpensive external usb case for 2.5 inch drives, then you don't hav to crack open the case initially to insert a drive; you can work on it externally, then when satisfied that operations are correct, then crack open the case, unless your machine has easily accessible drive ports (mine does not)