Thread: Paragon HDM 15, and pro, the SP5 versions, just tested, they do GREAT !

Paragon HDM 15, and pro, the SP5 versions, just tested, they do GREAT !

ok, had windows 10 creators edition, it crashed out paragon. Paragon got the new releases, the SP5 releases.
    I tested this (one machine with pro, and 4 machines with regular HDM15 sp5)
    set up backup, excluded a couple directories, in the global settings (a zzWorking directory, with non-important working files)
    then did VERIFY the VD for each machine.
    ALL the verifies worked well.
    NOW, the most important part - I took TWO of the backups, and restored them to a similar size disk
    Machine 1, loaded the archives, restored to drive B (a clean SSD drive). It set up all partitions exactly. AND, the INITIAL c: drive was bitlocked; doing the backup provides an UN-bit-locked bootable partition, you have to remember to re-bitlock it (not a paragon deficiency; actually paragon was GOOD, in that it flashed an inofrmational message about doing the re-bitlocking)
    I then mounted the original-c-partition of the restored drive, as drive W:, and compared it , directories all the same,and randomly opened some files, they all woriked.

then Machine 1, loaded the archives from MACHINE 3, which also had an INCREMENTAL backup done. So, mounted both the incremental and the full original archive; then selected teh INCREMENTAL backup to restore (and that action will select the incremental archive and ALL PRIOR sessions of theat archive)

it restored it to the cleared SSD drive, again i mounted teh original-c-drive-partition as drive W.
    directories matched, and random files opened !

Paragon, you did a good job with this; most people don't get to (or just don't) test the restore (the only other thing I could have done was MOUNT that SSD drive, take the other one out of unit, but i did not have the energy to do so today) to see that the restored image mounted appropriately

but Data looked good, mirrored, and files were opening OK.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !
    nick

Re: Paragon HDM 15, and pro, the SP5 versions, just tested, they do GREAT !

That might be if your not using a NAS . The problem start with W10 v1607 which also had a new ADK1607 to create a recovery flash drive. It finds the NAS itself but no shares! It works with ADK8.1 This has been broken for eight months.

B&R16 has the same problem. I just tried the new SP5/B&R16 Creators Update(v1703) with its ADK1703 on a Windows To Go W10 Pro v1703 drive and the problem is still there. Yesterday I had my brother-in-law try it on his Asustor AS5002T NAS with the same results with B&R16. I have a Western Digital MyCloud. I have received comments in the past that they are still working on the problem but none for a while now. But, geez, eight months!!

wptski,
    see this link, it is from a prior help ticket on paragon and truecrypt. it related to not being able to find a folder, on a truecrypt drive, paragon suggested altering teh settings.xml file, it allowed the truecrypted drives (once mounted) to be seen, and ability to then back up to the drive.
    DO ANY ACTION IN THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK (just a normal disclaimer), but it actually did work for me.
    i'm curious if that has any bearing on the issue you have.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8bnt7mt70p...rypt.docx?dl=0
    note, this would probably only solve the problem (if it solves it at all) from within windows, i don't know how the recovery media on USB stick would work.
    anyway, hoping it helps someehat.

nick

Quote Originally Posted by wptski View Post
    That might be if your not using a NAS . The problem start with W10 v1607 which also had a new ADK1607 to create a recovery flash drive. It finds the NAS itself but no shares! It works with ADK8.1 This has been broken for eight months.

B&R16 has the same problem. I just tried the new SP5/B&R16 Creators Update(v1703) with its ADK1703 on a Windows To Go W10 Pro v1703 drive and the problem is still there. Yesterday I had my brother-in-law try it on his Asustor AS5002T NAS with the same results with B&R16. I have a Western Digital MyCloud. I have received comments in the past that they are still working on the problem but none for a while now. But, geez, eight months!!
    If you don't use WADK when creating WinPE, then there will be no problems with connecting to the NAS.

Quote Originally Posted by fireworker View Post
    If you don't use WADK when creating WinPE, then there will be no problems with connecting to the NAS.
    If it was only that simple but that doesn't help. It does the same thing as did back when I made this crummy video for Paragon Support: https://youtu.be/14hLCbstS-M

Quote Originally Posted by wptski View Post
    If it was only that simple but that doesn't help. It does the same thing as did back when I made this crummy video for Paragon Support: https://youtu.be/14hLCbstS-M
    Bill, you first try. Just create WinPE stick without mark the radio button "use WADK". Then everything will work fine with your WDMC and any NAS. The problem is in WADK but not in Paragon.

Quote Originally Posted by fireworker View Post
    Bill, you first try. Just create WinPE stick without mark the radio button "use WADK". Then everything will work fine with your WDMC and any NAS. The problem is in WADK but not in Paragon.
    That's exactly what I tried after reading your post and the results were exactly the same.