Thread: Non-System disk error after OS migration

Non-System disk error after OS migration

I migrated the whole old Intel 80GB SSD to a new Crucial MX300 275GB SSD. The disk contains both OS (Win10Pro64bit) and programs /data due the fact some programs just need an installation on C drive.

New drive was labeled as E from Drive Copy Pro 15 and formatted as MBR with a single partition.
    PC being an old HP Compaq Elite 8100 CMT.

Just switched the old and new drive and instead of just booting the Intel Boot manager told I need to do something. Entering into BIOS conf using F10 and just exiting without changing anything I got the error message "Non-system disk error".

The drive was recognized as USB device for the migration so I suppose is working, used Drive copy to successfully migrate from HDD to SSD OS and data in my old laptop, didn't know if there is something else I need to do this time.

Re: Non-System disk error after OS migration

Ok have done a second test and appear Disk Copy didn't copy the source drive structure so that the drive is not recognized as boot drive

This is current situation, any way to make it copy the correct strucure?

Drive Copy.JPG

Hi,
    According to the screenshot, you used Copy Partition option, which copied only your C: partition, while your boot files were stored in the hidden partition, which was not included into the copy operation. Instead, please use Copy Hard Disk option, which will definitely copy all the source disk structure.
    In addition, it`s impossible to boot OS through the USB connection. Please connect the target drive via SATA connector like the source disk and set the boot priority in BIOS or just replace the source disk with the target one.

In fact I was using the Migrate OS feature. I was using USB just for cloning, testing the SSD on a cage with SATA interface.

But now tested the Copy Hard Disk and all is working, placing the new SSD in the slot of the old one is recognized as system drive.

Thanks!