Thread: Newbee questions about Disk imaging

Newbee questions about Disk imaging

1. If I use Paragon Backup 32-bit to create USBmedia. And use this media to backup 64-bit Windows/GPT disk. Will this image restore fine to a 64-bit PC?

2. Is there a way to see what version of Backup was used to create the (VHD) image?

I installed Paragon Backup/Restore on my 64-bt Windows/GPT and created USB-media.
    Then deinstalled Backup/retstore prgram.
    Then I used the USBmedia to create an image of this 64-bit Windows/GPT disk.
    Mounted the image and then 1:1 compared my system versus the image using Sync program.
    This comparison revealed over 100 DLL files between image and current system were a mismatch.
    What could be the cause?

Re: Newbee questions about Disk imaging

#1-I don't think it matters, even some MS apps were 32-bit for a long time and maybe still.

#2-I doubt it.

#3-There are some files that it skips, you'll notice that Windows Update List will be gone for one after a restore. I think there are some options for this in its settings.

1. A 32 bit Paragon program resides on a 32 bit OS. For the creation of the rescue environment (WinPE) Paragon uses the Windows recovery boot.wim. This is 32 bit on a 32 bit OS and results in a 32 bit WinPE OS. To boot Windows from a GPT disk UEFI boot technology is required. UEFI boot is only possible with a 64 bit OS. Thus of course it does matter.

2. The respective Paragon program used for creating the WinPE is applied to the WinPE environment. Find out the build number/version as described in https://kb.paragon-software.com/article/987.

3. No idea.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    1. A 32 bit Paragon program resides on a 32 bit OS. For the creation of the rescue environment (WinPE) Paragon uses the Windows recovery boot.wim. This is 32 bit on a 32 bit OS and results in a 32 bit WinPE OS. To boot Windows from a GPT disk UEFI boot technology is required. UEFI boot is only possible with a 64 bit OS. Thus of course it does matter.
    The setup of version 14 needed to install NET Framework 4.5 x64. I cannot remember what it did afterwards. I thnk I did not get the screen where you pick 64-bit or 32-bit version to install. And think you are able to install 32-bit version on a 64-bit machine rght?

In the latter case, would it still create 64-bit WinPE bootable USB?

Another question; How many DLLs does a program like Paragon Backup-Restore change installing and deinstalling on Windows? I still cannot imagine why so many DLLs where different between the image and current system state.