I am trying to recover a folder from a backup pVHD container, but it appears that dot-folders and dot-files (like ".name") are either not getting backed up or can't be recovered.

Although I use incremental backups, I'm trying to restore from the initial, full backup. This is Hard Disk Manager 15 Pro. From the Archives tab/page, I right-click the VD container, select "Restore from the selected VD container," select "Restore Files and Folders" and then look in the filesystem tree for the folder I need. It's not in the place it should be, and I notice that both the folder I want to restore and another one that should be there but is not are both "dot folders" that have a period prefixed to the folder name. All the other folders I expect to see are there. To explore the breadth of the issue, I looked for other dot-folders and also dot-files. None of the dot-folders or dot-files in my filesystem that I checked can be found in the HDM recovery/restore file listing.

Does the HDM backup system ignore dot-folders when making backups? If so, then it is not fully backing up my disk's file system, which is a serious concern. I know there are several applications I have installed that store user data in dot-folders and dot-files. Can anyone confirm if this is normal for HDM backups, for these to be unrecoverable? Is there a setting in the backup script that should be present to ensure the backup includes dot-folders and dot-files? Or is this just a serious bug? Could it be that the folders/files are in the backup but that it's the restore system that is unable to recognize them? Any insights into these questions would be appreciated.