Thread: dot-folders (folders with period prefix) and dot-files can't be recovered

dot-folders (folders with period prefix) and dot-files can't be recovered

I am trying to recover a folder from a backup pVHD container, but it appears that dot-folders and dot-files (like ".name") are either not getting backed up or can't be recovered.

Although I use incremental backups, I'm trying to restore from the initial, full backup. This is Hard Disk Manager 15 Pro. From the Archives tab/page, I right-click the VD container, select "Restore from the selected VD container," select "Restore Files and Folders" and then look in the filesystem tree for the folder I need. It's not in the place it should be, and I notice that both the folder I want to restore and another one that should be there but is not are both "dot folders" that have a period prefixed to the folder name. All the other folders I expect to see are there. To explore the breadth of the issue, I looked for other dot-folders and also dot-files. None of the dot-folders or dot-files in my filesystem that I checked can be found in the HDM recovery/restore file listing.

Does the HDM backup system ignore dot-folders when making backups? If so, then it is not fully backing up my disk's file system, which is a serious concern. I know there are several applications I have installed that store user data in dot-folders and dot-files. Can anyone confirm if this is normal for HDM backups, for these to be unrecoverable? Is there a setting in the backup script that should be present to ensure the backup includes dot-folders and dot-files? Or is this just a serious bug? Could it be that the folders/files are in the backup but that it's the restore system that is unable to recognize them? Any insights into these questions would be appreciated.

Re: dot-folders (folders with period prefix) and dot-files can't be recovered

Quote Originally Posted by mousemambo View Post
    Does the HDM backup system ignore dot-folders when making backups?
    No. It's just that HDM for some reason does not display these dot-folders\files in the "What to restore" window of its "Restore from VD Wizard".
    If you restore the partition or the root folder, then these folders\files will be restored to their places. If you only need some folders, you can mount the backup as a virtual disk and copy the desired items.

Quote Originally Posted by mousemambo View Post
    Or is this just a serious bug?
    Probably this is a bug.

What exactly did you back up? Need more information about these "dot"-files and folders.

Thank you fireworker. I was able to confirm that files and folders whose names begin with a period/dot are saved to the pVHD container archive, and can be recovered by mounting the archive and copying from that mounted disk image. I successfully recovered what I needed. So it's not a major problem that I encountered (i.e. things not getting backed up), but is just a bug in the Restore Wizard which can't handle such names. Thanks again.