Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VSS Error after creators update - Unable to FindFirstFile.

Re: VSS Error after creators update - Unable to FindFirstFile.

QUESTION
    will re-installing paragon, with their HOT CORE option installed, work as a work-around, until they release the fix?
    thanks
    nick
    i just found this error today, after doing the creator update,when trying to do an updated backup.

Nope - fairly certain that I tried that (either before or after creating the ticket, I forget)

However, the SP5-update worked..

--

Depends how urgently you want the fix .. I'd guess that they'll supply the download if you requested it via a ticket ...

On the other hand, given that the creators-update was only released fairly recently, I wouldn't be surprised if the SP5 is rolled out soon anyway.

I just received the SP5 (wow, rapid tech support response)
    I have installed it, and it is doing a backup (the VSS error did not show up, I am at 50%, will observe,and will re-coment if errors)

QUESTION
    we had to delete Universal Image manage (UIM), from Device manager, and from System32/Drivers. Is this TEMPORARY, (will tolerate it if so), or permanent; if PERMANENT step for re-installs, the average user is not going to tolerate that..... (device mangeger, delete, start in safe mode, go to files, delete, etc...)

QUESTION
    does the UIM affect any other windows installation???

Again, thanks
    nick

Nick

Just to clarify, I'm just a customer of Paragon (and like you was pleased with the rapid tech-support response)

My understanding was that:
    1 - the UIM was part of the Paragon software (and hence won't affect any other software)
    2 - That the removal was just to ensure a clean slate before it was re-added again by the SP-5 installer

I could be wrong ...

thanks for reply.
    I've been using this software for about 10 years or so. I had been using Acronis TrueImage, but it got too bloated. Found paragon, started using it, and haven't looked back. Support has been very helpful, and i really feel comfortable when I test stuff out on my machines, because if I destroy the machine ( s ), the backups have been reliable. (still get some trepidation, but.....)
    when I got this error today, it was like "what the h... happened..."
    but wow, what a rapid reply form them, and from this forum and you, to identify the error.

re: the UIM, i see that it actually did re-generate. I DO hope that the UIM gets deleted/regenerated automatically in the future, because my friends who are not as computer literate (and me too) are not going to enjoy having to delete that, restart in safe mode, etc, etc
    but I'm assuming that it is part of a quick patchwork before a more stable release (I hope)
    again, thanks very much
    nick

1 - the UIM was part of the Paragon software (and hence won't affect any other software)
    2 - That the removal was just to ensure a clean slate before it was re-added again by the SP-5 installer
    Steven_W is absolutely right ...

The UIM driver was redesigned and so was the installer.
    Your Paragon Support Team

ok, thanks for reply.

re: UIM, I had DELETED the 15 suit professional, and then tried to reinstall it, but it still wanted me to uninstall the UIM. I ALSO had the HDM Suite 15 REGULAR on the same machine, so I assume that is why it wanted me to do that?
    i will try the install on a machine that only has one version of paragon on it.
    thanks
    and, in my support request (support ticket), they indicate i have been given links to both the P R E (professional) and the P E E (regular) vesions. BUT, both the regular and the professional links have the P R E (professional) links attached, I need the REGULAR (P E E ) link also
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_W View Post
    Nope - fairly certain that I tried that (either before or after creating the ticket, I forget)

However, the SP5-update worked..

--

Depends how urgently you want the fix .. I'd guess that they'll supply the download if you requested it via a ticket ...

On the other hand, given that the creators-update was only released fairly recently, I wouldn't be surprised if the SP5 is rolled out soon anyway.
    I received another notice that they are still working on the W10 v1607/ADK 1607/NAS problem so although you got a quick fix for your problem, not so quick on my ticket.