Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backup takes hours and hours

Re: Backup takes hours and hours

Well, the backup finished at 51 hours, without performing a verify. The backup report says it took about 3 hours 40 minutes. This is about what it should have taken. However, as I said, in reality it took 51 hours.

I think I am runing version 16.23.0 (I can't check at the moment, as I started verification).

Same boat.

Purchased "Paragon Hard Disk Manager 16 Advanced" which includes the backup

Latest version of Paragon Backup 16.5 (including earlier 16.x versions I've tested with) seem to be severally hamstrung in the performance category when backing up larger disks.

Note: Smaller backups (say in the 80 GIG range) are slower; but complete within an hour or so.

The larger the backup source data, the slower the backup becomes.

Previously, backups using Paragon 15, took just over an hour for about 800 GIG (details taken from physical file date/times)

Now with V 16.x, take closer on 24 hours.

Over the last few months, have test with at least 5 external backup drives including a 1TB SSD

Backup drive throughput starts out around 100Meg/sec but slowly creeps down. After 3 hours, backup throughput is at about 17Meg/sec. Near the end of the 24 hour backup, throughput is somewhere under 1Meg/sec. I included PNG picture at start of backup, after 1 hour,after 2 hours, and around 3 hours (canceled the backup after this)

CPU is under 10%, backup split out disabled, Setting paragon backup task to CPU Priority to High.

Aside: Don't waste your time with contacting Paragon Support. Have had 2 tickets closed on me while I waited on responses. The third had requested that I capture gigs of procmon output while the (24hour ) backup is running... which most likely wont help and would generate gigs of data. I.M.O. it definitely looks like they realize that the product is broken, and are trying to play it off as a machine issue verse a paragon backup issue. With support wearing you out mentally with tasks to wear you down to the point of throwing in the towel and cutting your (time) losses (aka and switch back to a product you should of never left)

The same backup under a older Acronis 2016 takes under 2 hours, and with a better compression ratio (note.. drive usage was around 1.2 TB now)

Additionally,

* The GUI is sometime slow, with switching between functionality. Especially under the Home tab.
    * Doesn't seem to save my user/password, so need to keep keying it in to check the license status
    * Detects some external USB drives as internal drives (not so much a issue as an annoyance :-)
    * Paragon Backup usually doesn't survive the major windows (twice a year) updates. I'm either re-installing the software as it was MS uninstalled during the upgrade, or have a corrupt license which I have deal with.
    * I've had issues with the backup software, that if you run a backup (as a non scheduled), and log out of the user, then the backup exits (looks that this sort of backup execution runs the backup within the current user context, and not as a service
    * General interface. Much perfer the older interface. Honestly hate these minimalist interfaces
    * Unable to create a Linus boot USB/CD recovery. Either software says I'm running the basic free (which I purchased the advanced), or doesn't show the option at all (after rep-applying my license)
    * Had issues with Only some of the licensing being applied (ie. backup license wasn't applied; but was applied to other 3 parts of the software)

System specs
    MSI GL72M 7RDX laptop
    i7-87700QH (2.8 GHz)
    GTS 150
    Dual Channel 16G (2x8G)
    Micron 2 TB SATA3 SSD
    USB 3.0
    Seagate 3TB 64MB 3"5 Barracuda HDD (backup Drive #1)
    Seagate USB 3.0 External backup USB 3.0 backup external drive (Backup drive #2)
    ICAN Usb 3.0 dock

Quote Originally Posted by SoSad View Post
    , backup split out disabled,
    Scenario: you run backups to VD (new backup format) and PBF (classic backup format) and notice the VD backup runs much slower.

This may happen with VHD backups when archive splitting is disabled. To solve this, enable archive splitting.
    https://kb.paragon-software.com/article/49

Slowing down backups is an old issue of Paragon Backup that seems still not (if ever) handled by Paragon.
    Had the issue with Paragon 15.x falling into the slow mode for no apparent reason, later restored the full speed mode after resizing system partitions and adjusting the start offsets accordingly in PSL. After upgrade the system drive to SSD, again readjusted the start offsets, the backups continued at full speeds about three backup cycles, then switched again to the slow mode where it remains till now. The archives were never set to split, tho in certain periods performing at full speed from start to finish.

It's really pity Paragon HotCore driver as an alternative to VSS was abandoned, as VSS seems not perform reliably and may be the culprit of this really annoying performance issue. From old days I remember that backups in HotCore mode always performed quickly, on the notch of slightly worsen response of other applications, but no serious issue, especially if run scheduled overnight.

There are several solutions to fix VSS problems, eg. https://kb.paragon-software.com/article/185 which don't resolve the performance issue for me. At least it's not clear if the slowing down backup bug lies more on the VSS's or Paragon's side.
    Last edited by Aloha; 04.01.19 at 12:27.

Quote Originally Posted by fireworker View Post
    This not normal. In your case, it would norma must be 1-2 minutes or less.
    Maybe "something" interferes with the work of the BR in a Windows environment. Did you try to backup your SSD by booting from an external Paragon Rescue media?
    Good idea to try from rescue media. Would it work from safe mode also?
    How about timing transferring a 4 Gb file directly from the SSD to the USB3.0 HDD?
    Using Paragon Hard Disk Manager version 15 Suite, my 330Gb (of 500Gb) SSD system disk took about an hour and a half this morning to back up. About 1 minute per 4Gb chunk as you claim. Bearable if not lightening quick.
    That is SSD to HD with Windows 10 Pro 1809 (Microsoft shamefully broke the system image backup feature and overwrote the latest one I had before it failed!)
    In original poster's case, using USB 3.0, the limiting factor should be the disc speed (because we might expect a transfer rate of about 150-200MBytes per second for USB 3.0 - see below).
    Let's be pessimistic. Even at 80Mb/s for a slow HDD disc write speed that's a Gb every 12.5 seconds and 4Gb in 50 seconds. Why on earth is the current version taking 5 minutes? This makes no sense at all unless version 16 has drastically reduced performance or the transfer to the HDD is faulty (duff cable?).
    Ref. https://www.akitio.com/faq/186-what-...te-for-usb-3-0 (something odd about the SSD write speed!)
    I can't imagine anything other than a rogue process making the machine so slow (as you mention); but then you would notice it anyway wouldn't you?
    One thing that would make me suspect a problem with the Paragon software, all else being equal, is the very slow start-up time. It seems to be doing a lot of analysis on the machine and if it sometimes keeps doing that then this might explain all the performance problems. After my own backup had finished I tried to check it using the Restore facility and it seemed to hang but I cannot imagine what it woudl have been doing just in order to locate the file it had just created!. I decide not to wait for it and bailed out.

Hello from June, 2023!

I tested a lot of backup scenarios last days with free Paragon BR 17 CE.

It is disaster regarding the backup time!

I tested with the same hardware and OS.

My old Norton Ghost 15 takes about 30 minutes with high compression.

BR 17 CE takes 3 hours (!) with fast or without compression.

If there is no a solution for that I would not buy the paid version.

I will give another try with the splitting for VHD as discussed above.

Another thing: is this forum dead? I do not see any noticeable activity here and no answers from Paragon. It is also a reason to think twice before purchase.

The backup process is slow, probably the slowest i've come across. However it is reliable (though slow!) when it comes to restoring, which from experience is more than I can say for much of the competition. I use the backup via a bootable USB.
    This forum has less life in it than a hobo's vest. You'll have noticed you and I are the only ones to post here in almost 4 years.
    Last edited by Mark_UK; 13.06.23 at 04:14.