Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backup takes hours and hours

Backup takes hours and hours

Hi, new forum user here. I am using BR 16 to backup a 1 TB SSD Win 8.1 system to an external 5 TB hard disk connected via USB 3.0.
    After 14.5 hrs it wasn't finished, so I cancelled it because I needed to shut the system down.

I have used BR 15 free before to backup the same system to the same external drive and it took less than six hours. Still very long, but bearable because that is shorter than a workday.

This morning I started another backup, now without compression. After eight hours the program says it will need another hour and twenty minutes. Seven hours ago it had said it will be finished in 44 minutes. But this happened yesterday, too: The longer the backup process continued, the longer became the announced time to finish it.

Is this a bug? If not, what can I do to fasten the process?

Re: Backup takes hours and hours

I just checked the time stamps on my older backups again and the backup usually took ten hours, not six, with both BR16 and BR15free. But 10 hrs is much less than >14.5 hrs.

And one more detail: drive usage of the system is 80% or 800 GB. Backup drive has 1.8 TB free space.

Still no takers? Ok, here is the math. From my former backups I can see that BR15/16 writes one 4GB-chunk every five minutes. 800 GB will be written in 200 chunks. 200 x 5 are one thousand minutes. One thousand minutes are 16 hours and 40 minutes. I must live with it or switch to another program that doesn't use shadow copies or partition the drive into three or more partitions for system/programs/data so I can have a more differentiated backup process. Sigh.

That wasn't so difficult, was it? In the last time I always need to solve and answer my own forum questions...

In the last time I always need to solve and answer my own forum questions...
    You're doing a great job. Nobody would do better.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    BR15/16 writes one 4GB-chunk every five minutes.
    This not normal. In your case, it would norma must be 1-2 minutes or less.
    Maybe "something" interferes with the work of the BR in a Windows environment. Did you try to backup your SSD by booting from an external Paragon Rescue media?

I have this same problem. I am using Paragon Hard Disk Manager 16.5 Advanced. Backups that used to take and hour or two now are taking 8 to 12 hours or more. I am using Windows 10 v1803 and wonder if a recent OS update may be causing the problem. Anyone have any similar problem recently, or better yet, a solution?

I ran into the same thing! But using Paragon Hard Disk Manager. Incredible! I could not believe how long it took! It took 19 hours! That's right, 19 hours, to make a backup image of my 1 TB Windows 8.1 system. I've used other programs that didn't take any where near that long! I also made a migration disk backup of the same system and don't believe it took anywhere near that long! I guess the best thing is to use Paragon to do the migration part and use Easeus or some other software to do a system image. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by RKelly5327 View Post
    I ran into the same thing! But using Paragon Hard Disk Manager. Incredible! I could not believe how long it took! It took 19 hours! That's right, 19 hours, to make a backup image of my 1 TB Windows 8.1 system. I've used other programs that didn't take any where near that long! I also made a migration disk backup of the same system and don't believe it took anywhere near that long! I guess the best thing is to use Paragon to do the migration part and use Easeus or some other software to do a system image. Wow!
    Same problem for me. I used to use HDM 15 (purchased copy) to backup up my C: drive, about 450 GB on an Intel SSD, to a local internal disk; took about 5 hours.

Now, I have switched to HDM 16.5 ("advanced"), and am backing up the same 450 GB SSD drive to to a USB 3.0 external drive. It's been 48 hours so far, and still not done; based on the size of the backup created so far, I'm about 75& complete. So, another 12 hours or so. It hasn't crashed, but it sure is slow. Unacceptable!

I'll try to wait until it completes, then I'll try again with HDM 15. If worst comes to worse, I'll back up to an internal drive, and then just file copy the backup to my external drive; I assume this is OK. But, something is not right.

One more note: I did disable the sleep function in Windows.