Thread: Newbie queries

Question Newbie queries

I am considering switching from Acronis TI and am weighing up whether to go with Paragon BR or Paragon HDM. To that end I asked the support people a couple of questions but their response was to give me a couple of links to some generic material rather than explicit answers.

Perhaps someone on this forum can answer the following questions:-
    1. Are all of the features of Paragon BR contained in Paragon HDM?
    2. Does Paragon BR have a feature similar or equivalent to the non-stop backup in Acronis TI?

Re: Newbie queries

1. Generally BR, PM, DC are all subsets of HDM. But: HDM is 15 and BR is 16. It's completely new. For example the network access works completely different - and works ;-) ... But IMHO one should wait. I myself would at this moment buy HDM rather than BR.

2. AFAIK Acronis has an own service working for non-stop backup. Paragon uses the Windows Task Scheduler for automatic operations and thus depends on the limitations of that service. Slightly different philosophy. For me as a private person an occasional backup once a week is all I need. And when I'm workin on a project I do a file level backup every night.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    1. Generally BR, PM, DC are all subsets of HDM. But: HDM is 15 and BR is 16. It's completely new. For example the network access works completely different - and works ;-) ... But IMHO one should wait. I myself would at this moment buy HDM rather than BR.

2. AFAIK Acronis has an own service working for non-stop backup. Paragon uses the Windows Task Scheduler for automatic operations and thus depends on the limitations of that service. Slightly different philosophy. For me as a private person an occasional backup once a week is all I need. And when I'm workin on a project I do a file level backup every night.
    Thank you Banshee.

HDM15 hasn't been updated since 12/15 and actually is overdue to be HDM16. BR16 is new but both have NAS problems with W10 v1607 because it requires ADK 1607 of so states MS. Recovery media created using ADK 1607 have the NAS problems, ADK 8.1 will work with HDM15 but not BR16. I've had a trouble ticket in for six months maybe right now and still get notices that they are still working on it. My guess is that they are stalling to correct their whole product line before releasing HDM16.

I'm still undecided on the Paragon products, mainly because of one particular issue.
    To explain this I will once again have to use Acronis TI as my base.
    In ATI setting up differential or incremental backups is a relatively simple task requiring one set of definitions which control when a full backup is performed and how many differential/incremental backups should be done before the next full backup. So a weekly full backup followed by 6 daily differentials is easy to achieve.
    However, from what I have read so far, it would seem that with Paragon it is not quite that simple.
    Or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Hairy Scot View Post
    So a weekly full backup followed by 6 daily differentials is easy to achieve.
    However, from what I have read so far, it would seem that with Paragon it is not quite that simple.
    Or am I missing something?
    Do you want something like this?BR16-0.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by fireworker View Post
    Do you want something like this?BR16-0.jpg
    That's exactly what I'm after.

I see that example comes from BR16. I assume HDM15 can do the same?

HDM 15 Professional provides a "Retention Wizard" which works similar. The handling is completely different though but not more complicated (ok, slightly). HDM 15 Suite does not have this wizard.