Thread: MBR to GPT

MBR to GPT

Hi Folks, some advice please;
    I have just done a clean install of Windows 10 pro 64bit on a new 3TB WD drive when I went to partition it I found that there is approx 750GB Unallocated. Having done a bit of research I have read that
    I need to convert this drive from basic MBR to GPT. Using Paragon partition Manager pro will my disk still be bootable and with NO data loss? Anyone done this?
    Thanks in anticipation, PeterC50

AW: MBR to GPT

No. Will not be bootable anymore. GPT requires UEFI boot. Migration from MBR/BIOS boot to UEFI boot is not possible. => How to convert MBR Hard Disk to GPT Hard Disk

With a recent Windows install it would be most easy to clear the disk, convert to GPT, and install Windows in UEFI mode.

With a very customized Windows one COULD (no warranty, just thinking loudly):

* Create a backup of C:

* Clear the disk.

* Convert to GPT.

* Start installing Windows in UEFI mode.

* Cancel the install when Windows starts copying files. In this stage of the install the GPT/EFI infrastructure is already created as needed.

* Remove C:.

* Restore the backup of C:.
    Grüße

Piet

Re: AW: MBR to GPT

Quote Originally Posted by fakir23 View Post
    No. Will not be bootable anymore. GPT requires UEFI boot. Migration from MBR/BIOS boot to UEFI boot is not possible. => How to convert MBR Hard Disk to GPT Hard Disk

With a recent Windows install it would be most easy to clear the disk, convert to GPT, and install Windows in UEFI mode.

With a very customized Windows one COULD (no warranty, just thinking loudly):

* Create a backup of C:

* Clear the disk.

* Convert to GPT.

* Start installing Windows in UEFI mode.

* Cancel the install when Windows starts copying files. In this stage of the install the GPT/EFI infrastructure is already created as needed.

* Remove C:.

* Restore the backup of C:.
    Thanks for that, I was hoping for a different outcome, beats me why Widows 10 installation does not offer up that info
    on install!!!

Regards Peter

Administrator

Re: MBR to GPT

Hi, PeterC50, you need to boot the installer medium in UEFI mode to install Windows in EFI boot mode. Open you're boot manager during the boot process. You will find two instances of your CD device: one like "CD-ROM ..." and one like "UEFI: CD-ROM ...". Select the "UEFI" one.