Thread: GPT Loader: md5 failure XP/Win7

GPT Loader: md5 failure XP/Win7

Background:
    system is dual boot: win XP 32bit & win-7 64
    file system is ntfs for both systems
    hard drives have been upgraded from multiple 2tb to multiple 4tb
    primarily large video files & photo's.
    All folders are hashed md5
    The drives in question are all GPT, single partition storage drives.

GPT loader installed without problems and lets XP see full capacity of each drive (3.63tb ea.)
    Data was copied thru both XP & Win7 (at different times) and defragged thru Win7 64bit

After each copy, a bit compare was done and all hashes verified. A caveat is that when I copied and verified each transfer, it was within the same OS. What I didn't realize was that XP, using the GPT loader wouldn't see the data as it appeared to Win-7. Which brings me to the point of this post...

Problem: XP doesn't see the videos properly which were copied using Win-7. The md5's fails, and attempts to play the video brings up the wrong video. In addition, parts of other videos play through out the showing... like something pieced parts of multiple videos together and linked it to a title. This only happen with the videos that were copied under Win-7 and played under XP. Thankfully, if Win-7 is booted, the video plays fine and the hash passes.

The 2tb drives are kept as backup, so I still have access to the original files... but to Win-7, all the data is fine. However, XP is my OS of preference, and the point in using GPT Loader was that XP could remain my primary system.

Before I start to recopy everything thru XP, it seems prudent to understand what is going on such that I'm not creating a problem for the future. I'm also continuing to explore... so if my understanding of anything stated here changes, I'll be certain to edit/re-post. Meanwhile...

Any idea's as to why or what is happening?

Does the absence of the 128mb mini partition factor into GPT Loader's functionality?

Thanks for any input or reply. All assistance is appreciated.

AW: GPT Loader: md5 failure XP/Win7

A 32 bit OS can't handle more than 2.2 TB filesystems. It completely looses control and writes and reads randomly beyond and after a while beneath the 2.2 TB limit. Total mess. I'd urgently suggest to create partitions smaller than 2.2 TB.

Another issue could be that I personally believe that the handling of GPT Loader and native GPT by Win 7 64bit differs in a subtile way. That would cause problems when filesystems are written alternate by Win 7 or XP. Very bad scenario.

The GPT Loader is coming from a certain period in technology where lots of XP installations were still in use. 3 (!!!) TB disks became common as data !!! storage and XP users wanted to use these too. 3 TB required GPT and Paragon developped the GPT Loader to enable XP to handle GPT which it doesn't know by default. It is not more than a dirty workaround designed to be used in closed XP environments. Not more.

IMHO it's a pre-programmed disaster if you use this in the contemporary open environments. XP is dead and should rest in peace. I always found the El Cid legend kind of disgusting.
    Last edited by fakir23; 02.03.17 at 15:05.
    Grüße

Piet

[XP] is not dead, it just smells funny.

FZ

Re: GPT Loader: md5 failure XP/Win7

Your words ring very true, and make perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by fakir23 View Post
    ...I'd urgently suggest to create partitions smaller than 2.2 TB....
    Done, all drives have 2 partitions below 2TB

... problems when filesystems are written alternate by Win 7 or XP. Very bad scenario...
    Win-7 64bit has shared access to the XP-library for some time, but it's been with MBR drives. Win-7 exists only to support a few programs that require it and is rarely used. However, you make a good point, and so the archive drive letters for the Win-7 installation have been removed so it no longer has access to the library. Now, any folders which are destine for the library will have to be moved by XP from the same MBR holding partition they've shared in the past.

The GPT Loader is coming from a certain period in technology where lots of XP installations were still in use.... It is not more than a dirty workaround designed to be used in closed XP environments....
    That's exactly what I understood it to be. However, the limitations of any work-around are usually found by screwing things up. This is exactly what I did...lol Thanks to your input, the limits & concerns are better understood and with a little luck... this old system will spin for another decade.

This system remains relatively closed. Programs don't auto-update, and it's not on a network. It does have an internet connection, but XP lives on a small GB drive. It contains programs & utilities which meet my needs.

Without a doubt, the points you made factored into the mess which brought me here. For a solution, I wiped all the drives, and re-partitioned them using a third party utility. All data transfer was done by another Win7 PC. Teracopy utility was used because it makes clean sequential writes and eliminated the need to defrag. Once the 2tb drives were copied onto the 4tb's and all hashes verified... the drives were re-installed into the XP tower. All hashes still pass. All files access without problems and new data is without corruption... at least this is the experience for several days of use. If this changes, I'll post again... but it appears to be stable and functioning properly using XP and the Paragon Loader. Long live dirty work-arounds and the kind souls who share their knowledge.

vielen Dank
    Last edited by Bob C.; 06.03.17 at 16:36. Reason: spelling

Thanks for the flowers (German "flowery phrase" )
    Grüße

Piet