Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bootable backup drive?

Bootable backup drive?

I back up my system onto a HDD in a USB enclosure. Is there any way to make this drive bootable and to be able to restore back ups from it? Can't find any information on this.

Re: Bootable backup drive?

It's better to first make a USB-drive bootable (then, if you want, reduce the partition of the boot environment and on the freed space create one more partition - for files), and then save on it the backups and any files.
    'Home' -> 'Recovery media builder'
    Last edited by fireworker; 24.02.17 at 21:08.

Yes. My backup HDD is a USB drive. But in making any drive bootable, it wants to erase all other files on it........I think. I just want to know if there is a way to make my drive bootable, with a restore function.

Convert disk to bootable without damaging the files stored on it, I'm sure a lot harder than if you save the files somewhere, create a boot disk with the removal of all previously contents and then write the files back into place.

Ok, sounds good. So, how can I make it bootable without damaging the files on it? Forgive me. I'm not really a tech kind of person.
    Last edited by David49; 24.02.17 at 22:07.

I have about the similar question and due to my ignorance, I'll try to understand it better:
    It is written that I cannot boot from the "image disk" via USB.
    So, this is not entirely clear to me, and I need a step by step assistance:
    I bought today a 1T external HD. I changed it to MBR.
    I wish to use this disk for backup, so in case of disaster, I will be able to recover the entire system.
    So, let's say that a disaster happens, and my boot disk is dead. I have to buy another HDD / SSD. It comes of course without partition.
    So, I need to boot from "somewhere" - I mean from the external disk, am I right? If I cannot do it, how can I use the image?
    What is the exact process to do it? I am using a dual boot system, XP and WIN7. I wish to backup the WIN7 OS and system and boot (if possible).
    What are exactly the steps??? Please help!
    Thank you,

Quote Originally Posted by David49 View Post
    Ok, sounds good. So, how can I make it bootable without damaging the files on it?
    I'm bad writing in English, and therefore, obviously, failed to convey the message that the attempt to convert an external disk with files to the bootable - is undesirable. While creating a boot disk from clean disk - totally safe.
    Because when you convert disk to the boot disk, is inevitable editing MBR (in any of the dozens of ways), so the contents of the disc is in danger because the slightest error. And conversion requires several operations, while the typical Paragon "media builder" requires a few mouse clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by David49 View Post
    I'm not really a tech kind of person.
    For example (and only for example responsibility for your possible actions of the on you), a simple way to add Paragon HDM 15 WinPE on external MBR-disk with files.
    1. Download and install the Windows AIK / ADK if it is not installed (eg. WADK 1511)
    2. Connect an external disk, run HDM. The HDM: reduce the partition at USB-HDD for 500 MB or more. Create a new partition in the space that is freed, NTFS. Mark partition as active (a check that there were no other active partitions on the disk).
    3. HDM: "Home" -> 'Recovery media builder' -> "Use WADK" (check 'Advanced' if you want to add special drivers, and network settings) -> MS WinPE -> ISO Image -> Check the path to your WADK.
    4. From the resulting ISO need to copy all the files to the newly created partition (assign a drive letter that appeared in the Explorer) on USB-HDD. To do this, you can mount the ISO as a virtual CD-ROM, or extract all with 7-zip archiver.
    All.
    I did it and booted from USB to WinPE HDM. All files in the [first] partition remained untouched.

Thanks very much. I did it wrong, but ended up with my USB HDD bootable as a recovery media. I can start my system with that drive, and it finds all archive files on my USB backup HDD. So basically. I just created my recovery media on my HDD instead of a flash drive. I will copy your instructions, and work myself up to understanding it enough to try and use them. Thanks very much for your help with this. Much appreciated.

David49,
    Windows ADK can be downloaded here https://developer.microsoft.com/en-U...deployment-kit
    A Paragon HDM15 WinPE files look like this https://support.paragon-software.com...1&d=1486599010

Ridgh,
    If you want to make your new drive bootable, it is better to do it immediately while the disk is empty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgh View Post
    What is the exact process to do it? I am using a dual boot system, XP and WIN7. I wish to backup the WIN7 OS and system and boot (if possible).
    What are exactly the steps???
    If you are a Paragon user, create Rescue Disk is very easy. The manual for each program describes the sequence of steps. After you create a boot environment, you can reduce its a partition by size, then create a new partition for storing backups and personal files. (Two partitions in order to not confuse the files for different purposes, however, the matter of your choice).

Thank you very much fireworker, I'll try to do the "rescue disk", even that I don't have DVD/CD, I'll try to do an USB stick bootable.
    I remember that in the past I did it somehow. I have "partition magic" in one of my PCs, so maybe I will succeed...
    Anyway, thanks a lot!