Thread: Rescue Kit 14 Free Edition

Angry Rescue Kit 14 Free Edition

Dear Paragon programmers
    WHAT IS THIS CRAP ?????????
    Why a simple tool like this one, DELETES many files from my COMPUTER WITHOUT ANY WARNING ??
    I'm working now to restore them; good for me that I figured out quickly and I haven't written too much data on that partition. For sure, some data is already corrupted.

With all my respect, F/Y !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Rescue Kit 14 Free Edition

Rescue Kit 14 Free Edition\PROGRAM\64\Recovery Media Builder\program\rmb2\RMBStorage\temp\linux_custom\ custom\MYFILES
    WTF ????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?? ?

I created a USB pen drive. Can I use this crap to backup my C:\ drive or it will delete all my files ?

Quote Originally Posted by amimandami View Post
    Why a simple tool like this one, DELETES many files from my COMPUTER WITHOUT ANY WARNING ??
    !
    Hello. That is not possible. Could you please describe the steps you've taken?

I'll describe here the steps I took to get this "result" (some terms might not have exactly same names in this application, but I don't want to start it again to find my files deleted)
    - downloading the app
    - extracting the app (not installing it) to I:\Temp\DL
    - changing the folder name to: Rescue Kit 14 Free Edition
    - running SHSTART.exe: NO GUI
    - running explauncher.exe
    - selecting Linux image, advanced selection, no Internet connection, no share, building with BIOS boot
    - booting from pendrive: It didn't work (my mistake because of BIOS boot)
    - selecting Linux image, advanced selection, no Internet connection, no share, building with BIOS boot, 2nd pendrive
    - booting from pendrive: It didn't work (my mistake because of BIOS boot)(realizing this mistake)
    - selecting Linux image, advanced selection, no Internet connection, no share, building with EFI boot
    - booting from pendrive: It worked. I looked for creating an image function, "copying files" function (and checking some files on D:\ drive), "repairing" the partitions function then selecting exit. No effective action; just checking what it is capable.
    - booting to Windows and, by accident, seeing that the folder I:\Sync and the files in this folder are gone. I went to recover them and used several apps (naturally making sure that I don't do any change on that partition); I'm afraid I don't have any screen captures, but the apps were showing the last path as being I:\Temp\DL\Rescue Kit 14 Free Edition\PROGRAM\64\Recovery Media Builder\program\rmb2\RMBStorage\temp\linux_custom\ custom\MYFILES
    Still, some files (part of Opera and some tests on Firefox were in other similar folders; I didn't care as they were part of an old project).
    Last edited by amimandami; 21.02.17 at 03:44.

Quote Originally Posted by amimandami View Post
    I'll describe here the steps I took to get this "result" (some terms might not have exactly same names in this application, but I don't want to start it again to find my files deleted)
    - downloading the app
    - extracting the app (not installing it) to I:\Temp\DL
    - changing the folder name to: Rescue Kit 14 Free Edition
    - running SHSTART.exe: NO GUI
    - running explauncher.exe
    - selecting Linux image, advanced selection, no Internet connection, no share, building with BIOS boot
    - booting from pendrive: It didn't work (my mistake because of BIOS boot)
    - selecting Linux image, advanced selection, no Internet connection, no share, building with BIOS boot, 2nd pendrive
    - booting from pendrive: It didn't work (my mistake because of BIOS boot)(realizing this mistake)
    - selecting Linux image, advanced selection, no Internet connection, no share, building with EFI boot
    - booting from pendrive: It worked. I looked for creating an image function, "copying files" function (and checking some files on D:\ drive), "repairing" the partitions function then selecting exit. No effective action; just checking what it is capable.
    - booting to Windows and, by accident, seeing that the folder I:\Sync and the files in this folder are gone. I went to recover them and used several apps (naturally making sure that I don't do any change on that partition); I'm afraid I don't have any screen captures, but the apps were showing the last path as being I:\Temp\DL\Rescue Kit 14 Free Edition\PROGRAM\64\Recovery Media Builder\program\rmb2\RMBStorage\temp\linux_custom\ custom\MYFILES
    Still, some files (part of Opera and some tests on Firefox were in other similar folders; I didn't care as they were part of an old project).
    Thank you for detailed info. I've sent it to devs, they'll take a look at it.

AW: Rescue Kit 14 Free Edition

Another question: The directory's name is \Sync. Why? Who is synchronizing? What triggers synchronizing? What is synchronized?
    Grüße

Piet

The deleted files were in I:\Sync\HDD I:\Sync\Work I:\Sync\General
    This folder contains selected data which is synchronized with external storages. For syncing I use FreeFileSync portable.

The OS is Win10 x64 anniversary edition (if it matters).

AW: Rescue Kit 14 Free Edition

Sorry, been off for a while. What does make you so sure that it has not been sync'ing that failed? Sounds much more plausible to me.
    Grüße

Piet

Re: AW: Rescue Kit 14 Free Edition

Quote Originally Posted by fakir23 View Post
    Sorry, been off for a while. What does make you so sure that it has not been sync'ing that failed? Sounds much more plausible to me.
    - this application is not installed: it is portable (the well known FreeFileSync). It doesn't have any services or tasks active. It has to be started manually.
    - when is ran, it synchronizes files from another partition to an external disk.
    - the SYNC folder contains files which have to be moved by hand to an external disk.
    - It couldn't have any knowledge about this path: \Rescue Kit 14 Free Edition\PROGRAM\64\Recovery Media Builder\program\rmb2\RMBStorage\temp\linux_custom\ custom\ and any other similar.

Meanwhile I took the risk and created a backup (with Windows and drivers) and another one (with Windows and drivers, and some applications=40GB). I selected HIGH compression, the first backup took 40 minutes to complete, while the second 4 hours.
    It seemed it wasn't the smartest application (and I tested several before). The surprise came when I restored the image

Attachment 268

A simple restore of an image which AOMEI or GHOST (both with high compression backup) will have done it in maximum 1h, this application restore it in 22 hours.

I don't need any other confirmation; by far, this is the worst application I tested in the last three years. I'll let it go and head to something else. Thank you for all your support, but I think I can use my time differently.

PS: NO, there are no hardware issues; source 600GB HDD/ destination 750GB SSD.