Thread: Moving OS from HDD to SSD problems.

Angry Moving OS from HDD to SSD problems.

Please help. I am using Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 5.0, trying to move Windows 10 from my 2TB HDD to my 500GB SSD brand new SSD I should add.

So, I've tried literally every combination. When I'm in the "excludes" tab I deselect all the folders. I then go to the file type tab and select all the options, music, docs, vids, and pics to be NOT included in the migration. HOWEVER, every sing time it estimates it says 1800GBs will be moved and I don't have enough space. Am I missing something? What folders should I have selected to just move the OS over? I tried just selecting Windows and a couple others and still says 1300GB will be moved.

Re: Moving OS from HDD to SSD problems.

See what takes up the most space on drive C:, using the Scanner http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/.
    example.jpg
    Last edited by fireworker; 19.02.17 at 13:22. Reason: pic

ok. so someone needs to explain thow this someone with the same problem - am I missing a moderator? is the answer hidden? or is this just another example of negative customer service?

Hi,
    For successful Windows boot and logon as well as program work you need the following folders:
    – Windows
    – Program Files
    – Program Files (x86)
    – ProgramData
    – Users
    – Boot (if presented on C)
    – “bootmgr” file (if presented on C)

You may exclude certain program folders you don’t need from Program Files and Program Files (x86) and folders/files with documents. media etc. from your user account folder (but NOT entire account folder or Users folder, otherwise logon will fail).

Quote Originally Posted by catsnack View Post
    Please help. I am using Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 5.0, trying to move Windows 10 from my 2TB HDD to my 500GB SSD brand new SSD I should add.

So, I've tried literally every combination. When I'm in the "excludes" tab I deselect all the folders. I then go to the file type tab and select all the options, music, docs, vids, and pics to be NOT included in the migration. HOWEVER, every sing time it estimates it says 1800GBs will be moved and I don't have enough space. Am I missing something? What folders should I have selected to just move the OS over? I tried just selecting Windows and a couple others and still says 1300GB will be moved.
    Just a WAG--I apologize if I am misunderstanding your problem.

It sounds as if you think that the "Excludes" tab allows you to select files to exclude. Well, it does, but in sort of a backwards way that fooled me the first time. The small print says "Please deselect the files and/or folder, which should not be migrated to the target disk...." (Emphasis added) In other words, the files you want to migrate (\Windows, \Program Files, etc.) should be selected (checked), and the ones you don't want to migrate (\Users\<me>\Documents, etc.) should be unselected (unchecked). So the "Excludes" tab is really misnamed, although off the top of my head I can't think of a better name --maybe something like "Files/Folders to Migrate," or just "Includes"?

As I am complaining/asking for advice in another thread, C:\Users cannot be excluded from migration, and must remain on the new SSD C:. However, many of the folders under C:\Users\<me>\, where most of our data lives, can be excluded, specifically the sub-folders Contacts, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Favorites, Links, Music, Pictures, Saved Games, Searches, and Videos. C:\Users\<me>\AppData is among the folders that cannot be moved.

I haven't seen any responses to my query in my other thread, and I'm hoping for an easier answer, but it looks as if I will have to go through all of my computer's Users (three or four "real" ones, plus system-generated ones like Public, Default, and so on, and uncheck these 11 sub-folders for each one (for consistency, maybe even the ones that will likely always be empty), and un-select them on the Excludes page. Then migrate everything else to the SSD. Then, after migration, go to each of them in the new SSD C:\ and point them (Properties | Location) to the un-migrated folders on the old HDD.

Again, I apologize if I have misinterpreted your statement of the problem. Good luck.

I have the same problem as catsnack. I think everyone is mis-understanding our problem. We know how the "exclude" check boxes work. But when we "uncheck" something to exclude it - then click the "calculate" link - the size of the calculated files to be copied does not change. Because it doesn't change it never gets smaller than the destination disk therefore the program won't let you proceed (the "Next" button is never active).

I have almost 250gb of photos. With them checked the calculated size to be copied is 1.06 tb. With them unchecked and calculate the size to be copied is STILL 1.06 tb. In short, I don't think the "calculate" button is working.

There are two tabs on this part of the program - one for "Files and Folders" and one for "File Types" - neither of them work.

I don't have enough disks online to move the photos to another drive and delete them before migration - beside, I honestly think this is a bug that needs to be fixed.

just an observation, it does not directly solve yuour current problems. (but also included a possible workaround)
    BUT
    years ago, when windows was not as stable, I either split my main drive into C: and D: drives (or, mre recently, have a c: SSD drive, about 250 g
    and a d: drive, (unlimited space, at current prices)
    I then install ONLY the main stuff, programs, etc, onto the c: drive, and use the d: drive (or the d: partition prior) for data.

THIS way, I could easily do image backups of the c: drive (space approx. 60 gig), for the essential core of the system. Then, I could set up separate schedules for the d: drive which had the data (currently 1TB or more)

this makes it a lot easier to store information and work with it in backups.

NOW, there IS a workaround for doing the exclusions.
    IF you have the HDM 16 ADVANCED, you can do an IMAGE backup, and in the PARAMeTERS, select ADVANCED, and there is an option to ADD EXCLUDED FOLDERS (this is DIFFERENT from file/folder backup). you actualy have to TYPE in each folder and add it (the BROWSE is screwed up, won't select folders) (example, type in c:\working ), . you could then do a CORE IMAGE backup, then restore to the new drive, and then retrieve files from the old drive (mount it as USB, or something)

Anyway, hope the aboev helps