Thread: Migration from one laptop to another laptop

Migration from one laptop to another laptop

I just purchased a new laptop and would like to migrate O/S and files from old to new. If I cable the new HD from the new system to the old laptop and go through the migration process, can the new imaged HD be read by the new laptop. I.E., will it find the boot device and all setting work with the new laptop?

Originally, I planned to simply move the SSD from the old laptop to the new laptop - which I did, but O/S would not boot - 'boot device not found'. For what it is worth, both devices are HP Elitebooks and both running Win 10 Pro.

I moved the image from an SATA drive to a SSD in my old laptop and it worked beautifully. However now I am moving image from SSD in old laptop to a SSD in the new laptop.

Will this work or suggestions?

Ed

Re: Migration from one laptop to another laptop

Hi!

Quote Originally Posted by eldergeek View Post
    If I cable the new HD from the new system to the old laptop and go through the migration process, can the new imaged HD be read by the new laptop. I.E., will it find the boot device and all setting work with the new laptop?
    Yes, but it must be connected to IDE/SATA port to boot.

Originally, I planned to simply move the SSD from the old laptop to the new laptop - which I did, but O/S would not boot - 'boot device not found'.
    You must check UEFI or BIOS settings if the old SSD is detected and selected. It may not be present in boot device list.

I moved the image from an SATA drive to a SSD in my old laptop and it worked beautifully. However now I am moving image from SSD in old laptop to a SSD in the new laptop.
    What do you mean by image?

Quote Originally Posted by John Paragon View Post
    Hi!

John, thank you for your replies. I know a fair amount about computers, but I am getting in a bit over my head with the UEFI and port settings.

Yes, but it must be connected to IDE/SATA port to boot. -- Not sure what you mean here. The HD from the new laptop will be imaged by the old SSD from the old laptop. Then I will remount the HD back into the new laptop.

You must check UEFI or BIOS settings if the old SSD is detected and selected. It may not be present in boot device list. If memory serves me correctly, I did not see it in the boot device list...is there a way to put the old SSD in the boot list of the new laptop?

What do you mean by image?
    -- By image, I mean a complete copy from the old SSD to the new HD

Again...my #1 goal would be to move the old SSD from the old laptop to the new laptop and have it recognized by the new laptop. Right now, the new laptop does not recognize the old SSD. When I try to boot up the new laptop with the old SSD installed, I get the message that the "Boot device not found".

let me join
    "boot device not found" may appear because that the old and new HP laptops - eg. have different SATA-controllers. (Incidentally, HDM WinPE (and some other Paragon) is able to inject the needed drivers to installed Windows)

-- By image, I mean a complete copy from the old SSD to the new HD

Again...my #1 goal would be to move the old SSD from the old laptop to the new laptop and have it recognized by the new laptop. Right now, the new laptop does not recognize the old SSD. When I try to boot up the new laptop with the old SSD installed, I get the message that the "Boot device not found".
    How is the Old SSD connected to your New laptop?
    It must be connected to SATA port, because Windows won't boot from USB.
    Please make sure it's set as a boot device in UEFI settings, because it may not appear when you just replace the SSD.

1. connect old ssd to new laptop's sata port
    2. boot new laptop into UEFI settings (use this article for reference: http://www.isunshare.com/windows-pas...rive.html#opt4)
    3. Set the boot device to the Old SSD
    4. Save changes and reboot