Thread: Migrating a laptop complete SSD to a larger SSD

Migrating a laptop complete SSD to a larger SSD

I would like to do this with my older and smaller SSD to a bigger and better SSD for this laptop.

I have done things like this with my desktops before and have only taken this laptop all apart once and put it back together just to see how it is done.

The original HHD crashed when the laptop fell about 1 foot to the carpet so I replaced it with a small SSD 2 years ago but I don't trust it to last so I want to migrate the entire SSD to the new one (OS and all files)

So my goofy rookie question is after this copy is made how am I supposed to transfer it to the new SSD with this laptop?

Thanks

Re: Migrating a laptop complete SSD to a larger SSD

Hi! You connect new SSD to your laptop, perform the migration, then swap your SSDs and turn on your laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by John Paragon View Post
    Hi! You connect new SSD to your laptop, perform the migration, then swap your SSDs and turn on your laptop.
    Well I am just wondering how I connect a new SSD to the laptop to do the transfer.
    Is there some way to connect it to the SSD and then just plug it into a USB port on this laptop?

Some type of cable for this?

And then I guess I can tell it to move the copy over to the new blank SSD?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MagicPhysicist View Post
    Is there some way to connect it to the SSD and then just plug it into a USB port on this laptop?

Some type of cable for this?
    Thanks
    SATA to USB adapter cables, HDD enclosures, dock-stations..
    Enclosure will come in handy in the future, At least to use the old SSD as a fast flash drive.