Thread: Back-ups won't fit on flash drive despite them only being about half of the space on

Back-ups won't fit on flash drive despite them only being about half of the space on

drive. I backed up to a hard drive and the total size is 38GB but when I try to do the same to a 64GB flash drive I get a message that it won't fit. I've format the drive to make sure there's nothing on it. What am I missing?

Re: Back-ups won't fit on flash drive despite them only being about half of the space

Which filesystems do you have on the drives? NTFS? FAT32? File splitting disabled?
    Your Paragon Support Team

Re: Back-ups won't fit on flash drive despite them only being about half of the space

NTFS on the 500GB and FAT32 on the 64GB USB. The size of the backups on the hard drive are 37.6GB.

It might help Paragon Support out if you let them know what Paragon program you're using, what version the program is and what file format you're choosing for the backup (VHD, pVHD, etc.). Also, the version of your operating system might be of help. Best wishes and I hope you get this resolved soon!

Hard Disk Manager 15 Suite version 10.1.25.813 (16.09.15 ), VHD, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

"File splitting disabled?" meant: Did you disable file splitting (default 4 GB) in the settings of your Paragon program?

As suspected the FS on your flash drive is FAT32. Maximum file size FAT32 can manage is 4 GB. This is the reason splitting has been primarily introduced. IF you disabled the splitting option (default enabled) the reason for the error message is that a file larger than 4 GB is tried to be written to a FAT32 filesystem.
    Your Paragon Support Team

I reformatted it in exFat and it worked.

Thanks for your help.