Thread: Can not enlarge a C partition despite unallocated space next to it

Can not enlarge a C partition despite unallocated space next to it

Bonjour,

J'utilise Windows 10 et Linux Ubuntu en dualboot commandé par Ubuntu. Les deux systèmes sont sur le même disque dur SSD. Je travaille avec Paragon Hard Dislk Manager 15

Je manquais d'espace sur le disque C: (système Windows). J'ai réduit et déplacé Linux afin de créer un espace non alloué de 60 Go entre linux et windows.

Mais impossible d'attribuer l'espace non alloué à Windows: Partition Manager l'indique sur le graphique comme "non alloué", mais ne l'indique pas comme espace libre quand je veux agrandir C:

Motif et solution?

Hello,

I use Windows 10 and Linux Ubuntu in dual boot ordered by Ubuntu. Both systems are on the same SSD. I work with Paragon Hard Dislk Manager 15

I was running out of space on the C: drive (Windows system). I reduced and moved Linux to create an unallocated space of 60 GB between linux and windows.

But I can not allocate unallocated space to Windows C: because Partition Manager indicates it on the graph as unallocated, but does not indicate it as free space when I want to enlarge C:

Motif and solution?

Re: Can not enlarge a C partition despite unallocated space next to it

Let's assume you have a MBR system running there. If you have GPT/UEFI the following does not apply.

I'd suggest you check if there is a turquoise border around the unallocated space. That would mean you have an extended partition there where you have to get the unallocated out of to join it to the primary partition C:.

Another thing: Paragon is Windows software. It can only copy or backup/restore file systems = partitions. Everything outside partitions like the MBR cannot be copied. Thus after a restore or HD copy the MBR will be rewritten according to the existing partition layout. This operation does not take care for a GRUB MBR. grub's MBR can be large, a Windows MBR is usually only 512 byte. But if the first 512 byte are overwritten the grub will most likely not boot anymore. You should save the MBR resp. the space before the start sector of the first partition with dd. Or you know how to rebuild the grub MBR from a Linux Live DVD. Otherwise your system will be left unbootable after upsizing the Windows system partition.