Thread: Windows and Other Program "Activation" Needed when HD Migrated to New System? ...

Windows and Other Program "Activation" Needed when HD Migrated to New System? ...

Hi Everyone,

Looking for experiences of others who have successfully migrated the OS partition of an old computer to a new computer (and hard drive) with dissimilar hardware.

Does the Windows OS need to be "re-activated"? How about other programs that are on the migrated partition?

Hoe much of a problem is this, and is there anything that I can do (before the migration) that can make the process easier?

Thanks so much for any help and experiences shared.

-CFguy

catweazel

Re: Windows and Other Program "Activation" Needed when HD Migrated to New System? ...

Dear -CFguy,

1. migrate OS is a one time use tool. Why spending money for it. HDM has a function "Migrate OS" but has much more skills to offer.

2. I know only Migrate OS 4 (actual version is 5 as I see). That one is just a copy program. Copies from one harddisk to another (SSD is not necessarily required). No possibility to adjust OS to new hardware. HDM has the option "P2P adjust OS" on it's WinPE environment.

3. If the Win OS activation will survive the migration depends on Windows. If a certain unknown threshold of hardware changes is passed it will require a new activation.