Thread: HDM 15 Professional - Create System Disk Image

HDM 15 Professional - Create System Disk Image

Hi,
    I am brand new to HDM 15 Professional and trying to get my head around the manual.

I have recently rebuilt a Windows 10 PRO Workstation PC that has a SSD and then 2 HDD drives that are raided. I needed to rebuild because another product I had owned and trusted for many years failed me at the worst time and I could not recover an image or for that matter, hidden User files from the C Drive Back up because I did not have "Show Hidden Files" ticked and the product did not copy my Hidden AppData files "For Privacy Reasons."

On HDM 15 Pro, I have got Incremental back ups running for the C Drive (System) and D Drive (Raid) but I can't find the time to read the manual to see how best to do a full image of the C Drive. I need to do this quickly, rather than spend two more days reloading software and getting the Workstation back the way I want it again. I am also mindful of what may result from an SSD failure.

I am no techno wizard and consider myself an advanced amateur. Can anyone point me to any simpler instructions or tutorials about how best to create, verify and store a series of Images please?

I have a NAS available, that plugs almost directly into the Workstation, via a Network switch currently but could be plugged in directly if necessary.
    I have a heap of external USB Drives, up to 4TB in size.
    I have a WD Passport Ultra but there may be problems with Windows 10 as it does not see the USB drive unless some additional drivers are installed first.
    I have a WD MyCloud Mirror.
    I have a DVD Drive built in to the workstation and lots of DVD's.

Which would be the best location to store any images? (I back up the NAS once a week to external HDD's, used alternatively and they go in a fireproof safe)

Just to make things harder, Paragon seems to show me having two? C Drives:

Paragon Drives.jpg

It is the 250GB SSD that I need an image of. Do I need both MBR Hard Disk 0 and MBR Hard Disk 1? Do I need to do separate images for 0 and 1?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Gary

Re: HDM 15 Professional - Create System Disk Image

I use HDM15S with W10 Pro v1607 but ran into a problem using a WD My Cloud NAS with the ADK MS suggests for v1607 to build a recovery USB flash drive. I made the following unlisted YouTube video using a flash drive created under different conditions Paragon CS was having a problem understand the issue which helped. The basics are much the same as using from Windows. The first segment using ADK 8.1 is the only one that works with W10 Pro v1607 but this should help you. Use any media the software will locate and just select the whole source drive.

https://youtu.be/14hLCbstS-M
    Last edited by wptski; 10.11.16 at 16:14.

Hi, Gary.
    You have some weird configuration of additional partitions. Probably due to the upgrade Win7 to Win10. Now you must keep the three partitions in order to for Windows could start. Interestingly, in such a scheme SSD does not make accelerate but a little bit make slow loading of the OS. (Boot partition 1 on disk 0, then go partition 2 on disk 1, then load OS from partiton 1 on disk 1)

Hi Bill.
    I tried to create recovery media now I got the same thing - WD My Cloud asks for a password and/or do not open. Created in last year (HDM PE build 710) opens MyCloud without any problems and/or quests. Perhaps this has come because of the AU Win10. I use ADK10 as last year.

Quote Originally Posted by fireworker View Post
    Hi, Gary.
    Hi Bill.
    I tried to create recovery media now I got the same thing - WD My Cloud asks for a password and/or do not open. Created in last year (HDM PE build 710) opens MyCloud without any problems and/or quests. Perhaps this has come because of the AU Win10. I use ADK10 as last year.
    Yeah, my problem started after upgrading to W10 v1607. After going back/forth with Paragon Tech Support with them not understanding the issue, I made the video, they understand the issue and passed it along to the programmers a few weeks ago. I've received two comments to my support ticket that they are still working on it. Since this is about the time for HDM16S(new version) to be released, B&R16 has the same issue, it may be delayed.

As the video shows, ADK 8.1 works.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryP53 View Post
    Hi,
    It is the 250GB SSD that I need an image of. Do I need both MBR Hard Disk 0 and MBR Hard Disk 1? Do I need to do separate images for 0 and 1?
    Sorry, I didn't see the last question. If you want to transfer to the new SSD 250, then first partition 100G on disk 0 probably not needed. It is enough backup disk1 completely, and in the recovery you can change the order of sections following - first 450G, later - the OS. After the recovery HDM will automatically check and correct booting mechanism.
    Separate images for each partition are not needed. From the image contains several partitions, you can restore any and in any sequence.