Thread: Dual Boot XP and Win 10

Dual Boot XP and Win 10

I'm helping ANOther user to migrate from Win 10 Pro to Dual Boot XP and Win 10 Pro
    I've recovered many dead or dying PCs over the years, but I've not so far worked on a dual boot system.
    And I have no practical experience of Paragon - only browsed the documentation as yet.

His Hardware
    -- Laptop, adequate RAM, Legacy MBR boot, 500GB HDD, Win 10 Pro, MS Office etc
    -- Two partitions and plenty of unallocated space - 1) System Reserved Win RE [100MB] and 2) System Boot partition with all user data [300GB]
    -- USB 2TB Backup drive with MS System Image + System Recovery CD
    -- Belarc Report as software inventory.
    I hope that Paragon Free will be adequate to migrate the current system folder to a new partition on the same hard disk (see plan).

Planned New environment
    -- Same hardware, with re-partitioned HDD and a dual boot menu on power on
    -- Partition 1 - XP system volume and boot
    -- Partition 2 & 3 - Hidden WinRE; Win 10 system and boot
    -- Partition 4 (ideally) - User data for both OS's
    I hope each OS will be able to see its own AND all the other partitions and volumes
    It would be good if we could both 1) avoid re-installing user apps (e.g. Office, Adobe etc etc) and 2) avoid export/import of user data

I've found posts saying that installing Win 10 without replacing an existing XP partition results in a dual boot system.
    I've also found a post describing using SysPrep and the OOBE to move a system disk to new hardware without having to re-install application software.

This is my current plan
    -- If necessary Obtain drivers for XP if and save on ext USB drive
    -- Install Paragon and create a recovery CD/DVD
    -- Do a SystemImageBackup to ext USB drive
    -- Use Paragon to Create a VHD of Win 10 C: on ext USB drive

-- Install XP into a small partition located at start of HDD. Remove all other partitions. Check it boots
    -- Install Win 10 Pro to new partitions, leaving enough space still unallocated for user data
    If the posts I read are true, I now have a dual boot menu on startup. If not...
    Do I need EasyBCD? or do I have to use Grub2?? (Hope not).
    Also... Will XP see the Win 10 volume? and vice versa, will Win 10 see the XP volume?.

At this stage I expect three partitions and plenty of unallocated space.
    The Win 10 system will be plain vanilla, with only a dummy user and no apps installed.
    -- The VHD on the ext USB has all I need - Registry, Windows, Applications, Users and User data
    Can I use Paragon to recover this VHD into the Win 10 system partition?
    If so, I don't need all those installation software downloads or separate recovery of user data.
    Otherwise I can do it - it's just boring and slow.

Final Stage - Separate user data from software
    I remember how easy it was in XP to move the My Documents system folder to another volume by right click.
    I've found posts about doing the same thing in more current versions of Windows
    - indeed I must do so on my own PC asap... why have I not yet done so??

As this is such a new forum, I hope that the old forum gurus will all see this post ...
    May be I'll post a link on the wilderssecurity forum... Oh no I can't! - It's read only now of course

spilly
    Last edited by Spilly; 26.09.16 at 17:55.

Re: Dual Boot XP and Win 10

Please attach a screenshot of "Disk Management"

Quote Originally Posted by fireworker View Post
    Please attach a screenshot of "Disk Management"
    If you re-read my OP, you'll see I was asking if my plan is workable to build a dual boot XP / Win 10 (on somebody else's PC).
    I've since found some pages about exactly the setup wanted, so I'm feeling a bit more confident.

The current Disk Management only shows a single partition and lots of free space.
    I've never personally used Paragon before, and it's about Paragon I'm asking here.
    I'm hoping to use Partition Backup and Restore to avoid having to rebuild the plain vanilla Win 10 as installed from DVD.

More generally, can Paragon restore any backed up partition into any other partition of suitable size?
    My idea is
    1) to backup the current Win 10 C: partition (resized)
    then 2) to wipe the disk totally; install XP and Win 10 separately, with Win 10 AFTER XP.
    This should dual boot OK.

My questions (assuming both XP & Win 10 boot OK)

1. Can Paragon recover the backed up of C: into the new Win 10 (C:) partition (which will now not be the first partition on the disk)?
    2. Can anyone tell me if it will still boot assuming it restores OK?
    3. Do I need to edit the Boot Manager somehow?? (EaseUS BCD Edit utility?)

The aim is to give the user a working, empty XP system and a clone of his current Win 10, dual booted on one box.
    I hope Paragon can help me to clone rather than re-build the current Win 10.
    That way is possibly quicker - but more importantly, anything missing is the user's error, not mine!!!

Thanks in advance

Spilly

Quote Originally Posted by Spilly View Post
    More generally, can Paragon restore any backed up partition into any other partition of suitable size?
    Of course.

Can Paragon recover the backed up of C: into the new Win 10 (C partition (which will now not be the first partition on the disk)?
    Yes.

Can anyone tell me if it will still boot assuming it restores OK?
    If it boot up before, then will be after.

Do I need to edit the Boot Manager somehow??
    No. Unlikely.

EaseUS BCD Edit utility?
    EasyBCD? I hope that it will not needed.

If you re-read my OP, you'll see I was asking if my plan is workable to build a dual boot XP / Win 10 (on somebody else's PC).
    Excuse me sir, I'm not well know the English, but in your OP too much text and too little information.

I've since found some pages about exactly the setup wanted, so I'm feeling a bit more confident.
    I think a few pages will not hurt for you. If you learned how Win10 booting occurs and what this process is different from the same in WinXP, then could do without Paragon. Just be installed XP next to the Win10, and then boot from the Win10 installation CD to restore boot and menu.

Those are really helpful replies - thank you.
    I was worried about relocating a boot partition and finding myself with an unbootable system afterwards.
    With luck just restoring the backed up Win 10 C into the new clean burn volume will be so much simpler.

spilly
    Sorry about the over-long first post.