Thread: BR 16 Restore single file problems

BR 16 Restore single file problems

Using BR 16 on Windows 7 Home 64 bit. Backup image created on a USB 2 external hard drive

Problem 1: I created my first pvhd image on an external hard drive using BR 16 and then tried to use it to restore a single pdf file as a test. I tried restoring it both to its original folder and to the desktop. In both cases the application took several minutes to run through the entire hard drive but then errored out with the message: Some files have security attributes that cannot be restored! Please restore entire volume to avoid possible errors., followed by a second message: Some files on the target volume are locked. Manual restart is required to complete operation. In the restore to desktop case, I ended up with the folder hierarchy appearing on the desktop, but the final folder was empty (that is the file I want to recover was not there).

Problem 2: I also tried to recover a file from my Documents library folder. In My Documents I have a folder whose name begins with "##" (to keep it on the top of the list). This folder did not appear at all in the BR 16 files listing of files/folders to be restored.

Note that the alternative approach of mounting the image works perfectly. I could copy the subject files from the mounted image to my computer and the folder named ##abc appeared in the mounted image, so I assume the backup was fine. But why didn't the normal restore work?

Re: BR 16 Restore single file problems

I had same experience as Problem 1 when I was trying to test restore a single file to my D: drive. Also encountered error that "Some files were locked" when I tried to restore a single file to my C: (boot) drive even though I know the file was not locked either during the backup or when trying to restore (I had deleted it so it would not exist). (Note: I did not try mounting the backup.)

I would like to know what I am missing about the restore process.
    Regards, Jim

After my original post, I tried mounting the image as a drive and copying the files to the target drive (like the OP had done). I found, as he/she had, that it worked perfectly. This was true for files to be restored to both the C: and D: drives. No complaints about locked files or security attribute settings. In both cases it just restored the subject file.

While this is an acceptable work-around, I'd still like to understand the issues with using the original "Restore" method for restoring files.
    Regards, Jim

I'm experiencing the same errors:

1. Some files have security attributes that cannot be restored! Please restore entire volume to avoid possible errors.
    2. Some files on the target volume are locked. Manual restart is required to complete operation.

whenever using "files and folder" recovery. After the reboot the files do appear, and security attributed appear to be correct.

Post Re: BR 16 Restore single file problems

I'm testing out "Paragon Backup & Recovery 16" (version 10.2.0, trial license) and encountered problems similar to above.

During a selective restore, I always receive the error message "Some files have security attributes that cannot be restored!". In a couple cases, my File Explorer could not see the restored files/folders (i.e. the target folder for the restore appears empty, even after a reboot). However, the Paragon program itself could see the restored files/folders (e.g. in a File Transfer operation).

I've repeated this test a number of times and the error message cited above ALWAYS appears during the restore. However, in my most recent tests the restored files are visible in the target folder. Not every test is the same but I haven't isolated the conditions for a good restore yet.

Incidently, I've also been testing the "Free" version (aka "Paragon Hard Disk Manager 16 Basic", version 16.15.3) side-by-side and in similar tests it has NEVER thrown the cited error message and the restored files have always been visible in the target folder.

Anyone else run into this, or have insight on the issue?