Using BR 16 on Windows 7 Home 64 bit. Backup image created on a USB 2 external hard drive

Problem 1: I created my first pvhd image on an external hard drive using BR 16 and then tried to use it to restore a single pdf file as a test. I tried restoring it both to its original folder and to the desktop. In both cases the application took several minutes to run through the entire hard drive but then errored out with the message: Some files have security attributes that cannot be restored! Please restore entire volume to avoid possible errors., followed by a second message: Some files on the target volume are locked. Manual restart is required to complete operation. In the restore to desktop case, I ended up with the folder hierarchy appearing on the desktop, but the final folder was empty (that is the file I want to recover was not there).

Problem 2: I also tried to recover a file from my Documents library folder. In My Documents I have a folder whose name begins with "##" (to keep it on the top of the list). This folder did not appear at all in the BR 16 files listing of files/folders to be restored.

Note that the alternative approach of mounting the image works perfectly. I could copy the subject files from the mounted image to my computer and the folder named ##abc appeared in the mounted image, so I assume the backup was fine. But why didn't the normal restore work?