Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No ADK for current Win 10 version

Re: No ADK for current Win 10 version

Quote Originally Posted by HMonk View Post
    My September 13 update shows (on the DT): Windows 10 Pro, Build 14393.rs_1_inmarket.16096-1818.
    But, at SETTINGS>SYSTEM>ABOUT it reads: Windows 10 Pro, Version 1607, Build 14393.187.

At this point it is for me, academic, but I wonder if 16096-1818 indicates a 1607 interim update (rather than a version upgrade). Regardless, I created the WinPE boot disc using the 1607 link and all runs as expected.

It's been fun.

Monk
    Now I'm confused! I think I ran "winver" from the run box to get the version number but now it shows exactly as 1511(OS Build 10586.589) which is the same as Settings>System>About. Unless they(MS) changed that after the September 2016 Update? Yep, I updated on the 13th and there was another on the 14th but I posted that on the 16th!!!! Yipes, too confusing for me.....

OK,wptski . . . Windows Update has yet to feed you version 1607.

Go here and DL the "Anniversary" (1607) iso (3 GB) manually.

You can also try SETTINGS>UPDATES & SECURITY>LEARN MORE link at the bottom of the options - which should take you to the above link.

After you install the 1607 update, run Windows Update, which will add the September updates to the 1607 update.

Monk
    Last edited by HMonk; 18.09.16 at 22:40.

You can also try SETTINGS>UPDATES & SECURITY>LEARN MORE link at the bottom of the options - which should take you to the above link.

After you install the 1607 update, run Windows Update, which will add the September updates to the 1607 update.

Monk
    You know, I thought that was only for users on the W10 Preview list which I was early on but not now, thanks! I think I'd rather wait for it to come via WUP than do an ISO in place update as I've had them them fail when I was on the W10P. The W10P geeks always did a clean install with every build but I wasn't a fan of reinstalling software every few weeks. After updates failed and ISO in place failed to update it was so close to release time, I just waited. During my W10P time I used Paragon HDM to restore W10P probably 10-15 times.

MS parcels out major updates, apparently to avoid having to feed 200+ million users simultaneously; they did the same thing updating windows 7 to 10.
    The iso referred to above is nothing more than what you would get via WU. You can run it in one of three ways: if you want bootable media either burn it to a blank disc or blank USB stick - or - what I did was to simply click on the iso file which will expand or extract the files (they will then appear under your optical drive letter) and launch setup.exe. If memory serves, there is nothing else to do, i. e., it proceeds as WU would - automatically. As such, there is no need to reinstall SW and I do not agree with those who say you should do a clean install. An exception would be if you thought your OS was infected by some malware or FUBAR, at which you would format the drive and install anew. I suspect you upgraded from the initial release of Win10 to version 1511 without incident (via WU). Upgrading to 1601 via the iso file accomplishes the same thing. Because it is an upgrade to Win10 1511, I do not think you can accomplish a clean install without first reinstalling a retail copy of Win10. Then you would need to know if you had to upgrade to 1511 before you could finally apply the 1601 upgrade. Too many ifs and research to suit me so I just ran setup.exe from the iso.

If you have any doubts, you can backup your OS partition with the Paragon Backup and Restore 16 or EaseUS Todo v.9.2, both of which are free at this time. Then run the 1601 upgrade. Revert back if need be. Before doing the upgrade, you MUST create an emergency boot disc with Paragon or EaseUS. EaseUS is a bit easier to create since all you need is a part of the SW (no need to bother with WinPE ADK stuff separately).

Ed

Monk
    I took a good look and there was a update path to 1607 so I did it but first I made a backup image with HDM15S first just in case. I just finished maybe taking three hours but no problems that I can see so far. Thanks for the heads up!
    Last edited by wptski; 19.09.16 at 20:52.

Great, glad it worked out OK. The 1601 Anniversary issue is supposed to have all sorts of enhancements: I have not noticed any . . . oh well.

Monk

Great, glad it worked out OK. The 1601 Anniversary issue is supposed to have all sorts of enhancements: I have not noticed any . . . oh well.

Monk
    Got one issue now. Tried to install the ADK for it but it said to uninstall the W10 ADK which I did with no problem. I still had the ADK 8.1 so I figured I'd get rid of that so I tried to uninstall. Pop up during the uninstall says that ADK 8.1 has stopped running! I try again and it says complete but it's still there, reboot with no change. Downloading the ADK for the W10 1607 now. I'll try to make a recovery USB flash drive first and tackle the ADK 8.1 problem later.

Got a real issue now!

I created a recovery USB flash drive using the build 1607 ADK, booted it up and was going to make a backup but although it sees my WD MyCloud network drive, it won't expand it or its contents. Under Windows, Paragon HDM15S sees my network drive as before but I remember having a problem with network drives after an update and the fix was a registry patch so I tried to look back at my Paragon account as I filed a trouble ticket. I can't log into my account as it rejects my password! I don't know if its some strange quirk with this new build as passwords for other sites are working or is it Paragon's fault??? Can somebody verify this with their account? There doesn't seem to be any way to RESET passwords either.

Go to CPL>Uninstall a program>Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit>right click>uninstall (Better, if you have it, uninstall with Revo Uninstaller, which removes most of the leftover reg keys - the freeware version is at the bottom of the page)

Reboot>C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits. If it's not there, you're done; if you find some remnants, delete the directory.

Now reinstall the 1601 ADK version.

Monk
    Last edited by HMonk; 20.09.16 at 01:51.

Go to CPL>Uninstall a program>Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit>right click>uninstall (Better, if you have it, uninstall with Revo Uninstaller, which removes most of the leftover reg keys - the freeware version is at the bottom of the page)

Reboot>C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits. If it's not there, you're done; if you find some remnants, delete the directory.

Now reinstall the 1601 ADK version.

Monk
    The CPL doesn't work is what I'm saying. I ended up using Revo which worked, thanks.

BTW> I posted that registry patch in the old forum, found it and the change is still in the registry so there is a problem.
    Last edited by wptski; 20.09.16 at 04:45.